Sign in to follow this  
GrassStripFlyBoy

Wear a Helmet?

Curious on thoughts regarding wearing a helmet while flying.  Seeing some fairly hard crack up's of CT's that pilots walked away from, still that spar box is rather close to one's head and thinking if anything lead to head hitting the side window, tree limbs, spar box, that a helmet would make a difference.  Have been thinking of picking one up, over the last 12 years my involvement with search and rescue leads to mostly low and slow maneuvers, often this means I'd fly it in v/s pop chute.  The county has been good about buying radios, life vests, etc.  I can probably expense this as well.  Anyone fly with helmet and have any input around function / comfort?

Interesting question.

I’ve never felt the need for one, but there’s no doubt it could help in a crash.

If one didn’t mind a “Dork Factor” of 11, it seems like a bicycle helmet* would be close to ideal, with light weight and good ventilation and visibility. Would not work with a headset, so you’d need to find an alternative in-ear solution. 

Just a thought.

*Karen calls me her “Special Ed”, and sometimes opines I should wear one all the time!

Here's what's catching my eye, not crazy about the made in China, probably could swap out my David Clarks for the headsets.  Would ditch the visor.

Eddie - bike helmet makes a lot sense if the headset can be incorporated, that complicates things a bit. 

image.png.d0e405e65433555c31df90d04ca38550.png

Flying helicopters in the Army and Army guard we always wore helmets. After a long day it got uncomfortable plus, on a hot day, I got really sweaty. So sweaty that ear plugs would not stay in. 

In the CT I don't think I would be able to wear that helmet without constantly banging my head. Probably wouldn't be able to sit up properly. That old SP-4 helmet was bulky and heavy.

No question about it, a helmet will prevent head injury and could easily save your life. I'm sure there are better, lighter, less bulky options out there and many aviators use them. Crop dusters for example. In Alaska helmets were required for state Fish and Wildlife pilots and other government agencies flying Super Cubs, C-185's, etc as they did off airport work. 

So, if you do a lot of low and slow, and if you can find one that works in your plane, go for it. One that has a good built in headset/mic will be expensive. But, like the fire department, you never need it until you do. And, if you do need it but didn't buy one, your last thoughts might be you would pay anything to have one. 

I'm in my "try not to buy anything made in China" mode. Without handling it, my first impression is I would not want to trust it to save my life. 

Looking at the above links it appears that helmet/headset combination are not as expensive as I thought they would be.

And, the D-C kit can also be used with their H10-13.4 headset which can, I think, be converted to noise cancelling with a conversion kit.

13 minutes ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

Hey Ed - Being a serious photographer, perhaps you'd like this one:

And I thought I was being nerdy!

31318521593_4c9f7c17a1.jpg