New Rotax Engine cost nowadays

Ben2k9

Looking at the details on LEAF, these don't include the oil lines & cooler (plus fire sleeve to go over them), radiator,  or exhaust system.  Figuring one would not reuse aged hoses, and the exhaust system might need some parts replaced along with it.  Then would you want to pretty up things like firewall, maybe clean up & paint engine mount.  Replace silicone baffling around rad, etc.  Lots of little details I'd personally want up to the same level surrounding that gem of a new 912.   I could see this being $5k range with parts + labor.  

All that said, I'll probably sell my SW and buy a newer one (CT Sport?) well before the 2k hour mark.  And I'm a fan of new engine v/s rebuild, sell the currently running 912 while it's still hanging on the plane for someone else to deal with, and flying a zero time a week later, would be my process here.  However, experimental aftermarket big bore kits and such are intriguing on the rebuild note, but the performance is so good on std 912 why add more fuel burn into the equation, that would be the primary reason to go the rebuild route - upgrade over stock.

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2020 at 10:39 PM, Jim Meade said:

$17,934.10 quote from LEAF for a 912ULS bare as of 30 Nov 2020.

It approaches the figure mentioned in a previous post with the radiators/cooler, filters, etc. etc.

Picked mine up today for the price above.  19 Jan 21.

I understand the price increased the first of the year.