2007 CTSW no heat

KENNY MCATEE

The two most common problems with poor heat are the front opening blocked or the valve not closing properly. You state that the opening is clear, is the rubber gasket between the inlet to the muffler and the cowling in good shape? When you say the flapper is open are you looking from where the scat tubing connects? When you look down from above the valve you see an exhaust port. When you do not want cabin heat, this will be open. When you do want cabin heat this will be closed. If this is not firmly closed it will leak most of the hot air out. The easiest place to adjust this is at the back of the pull knob on the panel. Let us know what you find.

Poor  heat has been a problem forever. I  have 4 ct's and they are all  the same. There is  one more area that needs to be  addressed. The heat shroud around the muffler is full  of leaks allowing the heat to escape before it can enter the cabin. Sealing all these leaks makes a big improvement. Remove the muffler and take off the heat shroud. Clean it all well. Put sealer on the two rings that go around the muffler and all along where the rings and muffler meet. Reinstall the heat shroud and from the outside, seal everyplace that heat can escape from.

Make sure to run the engine afterwards before flying or you will  have a cabin full of smoke. It doesn't take long for smoke from the heated sealer to go  away but you  don't want it to smoke in  the air.

I first tried red RTV. That does not work well. It gets too hot. I now use Deacon 8875 high temp sealant. It is pricey but works the best of things I have tried. It is kinda expensive but it fixes the air leaks and holds up to the heat. It is  available in a tube or can. I find the can is my best option because I can  seal the  can  for future use.

It makes a big  difference. If the air leaks  out before it gets to the cabin, you lose most  of your heat. It take  the path  of  least resistance. It is very important you have as much of the cabin sealed as you can. Do you have a SW or LS?

You will still need a coat but maybe not gloves. With temps yesterday in the 20's and full sun, it was comfortable.

Mine are all LS's. Air still comes in thru the tunnel between the seats and around the door handle. I have not found a good way to seal those areas up yet. I have covers I made for the holes at the wing root and that works great