soft start modules

KENNY MCATEE

Not saying the soft start modules aren't required, but some points to consider.  Preheating the engine is wise for lots of reasons, obviously easier to start but also quicker to get up to op temp, all that low rpm idle time when cold awaiting oil temp to rise is not the best operating condition.  Also keep the battery charged strong, a weaker battery with cold temps is bad situation on these 912's.

BTW, I agree with GrassStripFlyBoy that you should preheat if possible and have a good battery. I had a similar experience when starting in cold WX. The battery checked good with a voltmeter and with an Odyssey battery charger. I replaced it since it was 9 years old and didn't want to be stranded somewhere. I was surprised how much more "snap" the new battery had when starting. A new battery is a lot cheaper less expensive than a set of SS modules.  

Kenny - seeing you're in Indiana, if you're not up to speed on a strip of aluminum tape across the top of radiator for winter operations, that's an important part of cold weather as well.  FD issued a blanket authorization around this.  And lot's of info in posts here as well.  One strip across the top once weather gets to ~50 or less, leave it there until spring time temps trend back up above ~ 50.  Keeps the oil and cyl head temps right in the green.