AGLyme

The Al Downs transparent winter plugs...

On 12/17/2020 at 9:57 AM, FlyingMonkey said:

Oof...for 50lb and $15k I'll sweat it out.  :laughter-3293:

Found out that place is out of business.   Saved me some money...

Al, flew today... 0 degs celsius, the plugs were 100% effective in canceling the cold breezes produced by the holes.  I could actually feel the heat from the heater vent swirling about.  Well done.

Updated field report.

flew alt 4,500, temp 17 degs f in sweater and sneakers.  Warm as toast.  

noted I need to plug the 2 wing pin holes for 100% breeze free.  Al any ideas on the pin holes ? Maybe some flexible, non drying putty.  Holes are small.

Probably where the flap rods enter into the mixmaster... 

fortunately I only have the two small holes to plug re the wing pins.  I don’t have any air coming in from behind my head.  Meeting some Husky flying pals later today at a local airport I’ll think of something and report back.  

For the wing pins and caps I would use a piece of black pipe insulation. A piece for 3/4" to 1" copper pipe cut about 1.5" long for the caps, and a shorter piece for the pin. You might need to split the one for the pin and work it around the hole.

I have air blowing through the throttle & trim wheel slots too... I have been throwing a micro fiber towel over them because I can’t think of a better way to seal them up & still allow movement of the controls... any suggestions?

I  have the  same problem and tried some thin foam sheets that would allow free movement of the controls but they took a set and still let the air in.

Just want to let everyone that has an interest in the transparent plugs for the holes at the wing root that I have sold all of them and am unable to get the plastic pieces at this time. If they become available I will post them again. Thanks to all that purchased a set.

Anim, see the first page of this string, I posted a photo of an installed plug.  His directions were pretty good.  
You have my cell number I think, if not then send me a PM and i will give it to you.

5 hours ago, AGLyme said:

Anim, see the first page of this string, I posted a photo of an installed plug.  His directions were pretty good.  
You have my cell number I think, if not then send me a PM and i will give it to you.

Not sure how I missed that photo! Thanks.