Curtis Quick Oil Change

GrassStripFlyBoy

That's Jeremy McGregor and that's his plane. He used to work for the old CPS when it was in San Leandro, CA. I know him fairly well, but haven't seen him for a number of years. He's a nice guy.

A couple of comments. He is still using the oil filter pliers on the filter. He did remove the old filter by grabbing the filter case which can and has punctured filters. Since he was removing an old one no big deal, BUT never grab the new filter case with these pliers. It didn't show him re-installing the filter. If you do use these pliers make sure you ONLY grab the steel ring at the filter base. The newer style filter wrench is better and won't cause any damage.

He mentioned in the video you can't pre-fill the oil filter, but he was using a new one which can be pre-filled. You couldn't pre-fill the predecessor of the filter because of the check valve. This new filter doesn't have a check valve. His video looks to be made in June 2020 and the old filter has been gone a few years before this one came out. Go ahead and pre-fill the oil filter. You can fill it to the top 3 times and it will just soak into the filter media and to the outside of the filter median.

I'm not a fan of the Curtis Quick drain valve and neither is Rotax. The oil drains to slow to get a good flush of the heavy materials on the bottom.

Hi Roger:

I use the filter wrench you sent me so we are good there. Good to know about pre-filling the filter. Not a fan of the drain either this is just where someone asked about how to do an oil change. I always appreciate advice.

Ken 

• 3 weeks later...