Beacon and position lights

Al Downs

On a VFR flight in a plane like the CTLS with all the lights we have, is  it a  reason to grond the plane if one is  not working? I have opinions both  ways. Because it is a VFR flight, I didn't think is was a reason to ground the  plane until  light is  fixed. What  do you  think?

I depends on what the operating limitations that go with the airworthiness certificate say in regards to CFR 91.205. If it requires compliance with 91.205 then you would be required to have the beacon operational. Otherwise lights are not part of the required equipment listed in the AOI. The caveat would be for proper placarding and disabling of the failed equipment.

Actually no it's not. Some CT's early on didn't even have them. I never flew with mine on because you had to be within 50' to even see them. If you can't see me within 50' lights aren't going to make a difference. There is no regulation that says lights are required for standard daytime VFR flight. If they are all non operational then you can log it in the book as no night flight is allowed unless the light are operational. You can do that for the panel lights too.

Roger, here is copied and pasted from the regulation, "(11) For small civil airplanes certificated after March 11, 1996, in accordance with part 23 of this chapter, an approved aviation red or aviation white anticollision light system. In the event of failure of any light of the anticollision light system, operation of the aircraft may continue to a location where repairs or replacement can be made.". Like I said it depends on what the operating limitations say. If they say you must have the equipment listed in 91.205, then this applies.

Also 91.209 requires you to operate a anti collision light if the aircraft is equipped. Nav lights are required after sunset until sunrise.

Certified aircraft?  But you don't need to turn them on during the day. Since they don't need be be legally on during the day then no one would know if they even worked. There is no mandate that says LSA must turn on their lights during daytime VFR. Sunset to sunrise is a different animal. I've had numerous owners come in with lights out. Since I don't carry lights I just write in the logbook no night flight until they are fixed. 

There are a number of planes that fly out of my field without lights on. There are many LSA that don't even have lights and even some older certified aircraft.

Okay, I did some more digging. I looked at a set of operating limitations, and the reference to 91.205 on equipment is for night and instrument flight, (This airplane has pre 2010 operating limitations). So neither nav lights or beacon are required for daytime flight per regulation or the AOI. Of course nav lights are required for flight between sunset and sunrise. If the nav lights are not fully operational they need to be placarded and deactivated per 91.213.

The beacon is a little trickier. Even though it is not required equipment since it has a beacon installed it must be operational. 91.209 says, No person may: (b) Operate an aircraft that is equipped with an anticollision light system, (The beacon is a anti collision light system), unless it has lighted anticollision lights. However, the anticollision lights need not be lighted when the pilot-in-command determines that, because of operating conditions, it would be in the interest of safety to turn the lights off. Added by me: this applies to any aircraft, not just certified.