WTB Trutrak Autopilot Control Head

robjahnke

Hi Ed,

I looked at the AP74 info and I don't think that it will connect to the Trutrak servos. Hope I'm wrong. Dynon communicates with the servos via the Dynon Smart Avionics Bus (DSAB) or the Skyview Data Bus, so the servos must be able to connect to the Dynon Bus. The Trutrak servos are driven directly with logic wires coming out of the Control head to drive each of the stepper motors. There are 4 input lines to each Trutrack servo and two output lines from each servo. So unless the AP74 also has provided the wires to drive the Trutrak servos directly, I don't think it will work.

Dynon did mention that their servos are PHYSICALLY compatible with other common servos. So it could be that the Dynon servos would bolt in with the same mounting holes as the Trutrak servos. But the way I read it, you will need to replace the Trutrak servos with the Dynon servos to make the AP74 work. 

I would love to have you tell me I'm all wet about this.

Rob

PS: Depending on which Trutrack AP you have and what's wrong with it, I might be interested in it for parts in hopes I could make one good one out of two dead ones 🙂

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Jim. I will keep it in mind. I have decided to go with the GRT SportEX but I need to design a "box" to convert the serial autopilot servo commands to drive the Trutrak servos. If I'm successful, I won't need the Trutrak head. If I'm not successful, I'll be looking for a head. Your timing is perfect. Is yours the ADI II with altitude hold?

• 2 months later...

Thanks for keeping me in mind Jim. I have built a box that listens to the SportEX servo commands and drives the Trutrak servos. I have flown it and so far it seems to be working.  I need to do further testing before I can say for sure that it's "done" but it's looking good so far. So it looks like I won't need a Trutrak head.  PM me with a price if you will, just in case. Thanks again. Rob

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...