Flaps

Towner

Well, I just bought my 2006 CTSW. Got checked out in it on the weekend and started my flight home, from Iowa to California. On the last leg, flaps worked normal during preflight. After takeoff, nothing. Won’t move either way, stuck at 0 degrees, no motor sounds. When I move the switch, I get the blinking number of degrees the switch is set to, but no movement.

I’ve read a lot of info on the flaps in prior posts, but I don’t think I read anything about complete failure, just intermittent problems and flaps not moving to appropriate positions. Where do I start? 

I'd suggest starting with the basic items first, there are blade connectors all over the wiring and even if appearing fine, a wiggle & push can be needed.  Circuit breaker popped? 

Sounds like you made it back to CA?  Good job on that note!  I did not understand manual flaps for a while after owning my SW, also an '06, and had to remove the switch and reposition a stop feature to allow further rotation of the selector.  (there is a trail with some pictures I can point you to if not configured on your switch)  Essentially instead of being a hard stop at -40, the switch rotates to the 9 o'clock horizontal position for "off" and then one click up is run up, and one click down drives down.  Confirming if flaps run in manual mode can be helpful to diagnose things, as well as restore some level of controlling them. 

Thanks for the responses. I checked breaker on flight home and it was ok. Reset it, but still no luck. Tried manual mode, but still nothing.

I made it to California, but it about 60 miles from home due to dense fog 24/7! I’m guessing it would be fine to fly home at 0 degrees if I keep it under 100 knots? If I get it home, I’ll start checking all the connections. I’m hoping since it suddenly completely quit, it s just something that came loose. 

An annual was just completed before I picked it up and they did pull the wings. Could this have caused the problem?

Thanks!

Yep, I bought it without seeing it, so an annual was the best Pre-purchase inspection I could get. One wingtip nav light isn’t working either, which will hopefully just be something simple. I was disappointed with the heater during 16 hours of winter flying at higher altitudes, but I’ve already read a bunch of ways to address the cold cabin. Hopefully these are the only issues for awhile, but I don’t want the flap issue to become a nightmare. It’s an amazing little plane and I want to go flying! 

This is a great site for information. I think any issues can be answered here, and probably have already been discussed.

Thanks guys, I’ll start hunting for the problem after Christmas. I said it didn’t seem to be an intermittent problem, but I guess I lied. Flaps worked fine today. From the prior posts, I should have a good idea of some areas to look.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas.

A sudden failure like that sounds like the most likely cause would be a bad connection or failed ground to the motor.  It's also possible the motor failed, but since it worked today I think that's out.  Most expensive failure is probably a flap board dying, but some people have had luck repairing rather than replacing. 

Good luck tracking down the problem, and let us know as you find more information.

BTW, I didn't see any response to your operations question.  AFAIK it's fine to fly at 0° flaps as long as needed if you stay within limits.  The hardest thing in my CT is keeping it slow enough, but I fly with slower 70-80kt airplanes very frequently and usually fly at 0° flaps to keep pace with them for long distances.  One of the great things about the CTs is they fly great relatively fast, and they fly great slow as well, the comfortable flying speed envelope is exceptionally broad.  On one flight I even kept place with a Kolb Firestar II at ~50kt at 15° flaps, though I was a bit nose high on that flight.  😁