VFR on Top

GrassStripFlyBoy

300nm is a long way to go over the top hoping you can get back down... 

And his neck scarf is distracting.  :laughter-3293:

I guess in the end all of aviation is a series of calculated risks, and we all have different comfort levels.  Some people think I'm crazy to even get in a small airplane, while I will not get on a motorcycle.  You just have to choose what you are willing to do.  I will say going a long distance over the top for trivial reasons (like to avoid bumpy air down low), is IMO a bad call -- at least have very good reasons, know the risks involved, and have a plan to minimize them.

• 2 weeks later...

I have done VFR OTT while exercising PPL privileges, it is rewarding. The thing is to understand why the clouds are there, if they are part of a front, or convective activity, or a temperature inversion. What direction are they moving? etc. Read the forecast discussion, have options for getting down. What is below you, is the temp below freezing, do you have enough fuel? I'd recommend https://www.windy.com/ , XM weather,  ForeFlight.  

That said the one time I've gotten into a situation I regretted was trying to out climb building cumulous to avoid a bumpy ride, running out of performance, and having to turn back while dodging rain clouds. Those cute white things can quickly turn into towering cumulonimbus. Avoiding complacency and knowing what kind of weather is around you can prevent that.  

IMG_1572.thumb.jpeg.806c1381e0acf4c9f96d92a0bece428d.jpeg

I guess I am one who is uncomfortable with over the top VFR. I have had times when on an IFR flight plan on top with the destination very VFR, when I got there approach said it was 1000 ceiling but I broke out at 200. I've seen too many end up not well. I also never ever told someone when I would be at a destination to pick me up, that can make you push the limits to get there. Just my idiosyncrasies.