Why is it called LSMR-A?

Jim Meade

I know that Carol and Bryan Carpenter use the term LSMR-A and said in the class I took a dozen years ago that the FAA recognized that abbreviation.  I assume it means Light Sport Maintenance Repairman-Airplane.

I have always used the abbreviation RLSA-A:

It is the abbreviation for the title on my FAA certificate that says I am a Repairman Light Sport Aircraft-Airplane/Glider (since I have the glider add-on rating).

Where did LSRM-A come from specifically, does anyone know?

The abbreviation follows the class / rating one obtains.  Rainbow offers two classes, the LSR Inspection 2-day class which uses the "I" for last letter, and the 16 day LSR Maintenance class likewise follows with the M.  Now obviously both classes allow one to do maintenance on the category of aircraft of class, or add on, as you're aware.  The primary difference is the "I" is purely LSA Experimental owned by the rating holder.  Where the M allows one to work on any LSA and for compensation.

Carol said the initials LSRM-(class, such as airplane, glider, etc) was suggested by the FAA Light Sport Branch years ago.  She didn't cite a document that establishes those initials.

She said "The sign off just needs your rating, your limitation, and class of training, your certificate number and your name,"

Reading from the back of my certificate, it says:

XII RATINGS

REPAIRMAN LIGHT SPORT AIRCRAFT

XIII LIMITATIONS

MAINTENANCE:

AIRPLANE, GLIDER

That infers to me that when I inspect my FD CTSW I can sign off as:

RLSA/M-A 2178898 James N Meade and that is what I intend to do.  If anyone asks me what it stands for I'll haul out my certificate and let them read it.

Carol said the initials LSRM-(class, such as airplane, glider, etc) was suggested by the FAA Light Sport Branch years ago.  She didn't cite a document that establishes those initials.

She said "The sign off just needs your rating, your limitation, and class of training, your certificate number and your name,"

Reading from the back of my certificate, it says:

XII RATINGS

REPAIRMAN LIGHT SPORT AIRCRAFT

XIII LIMITATIONS

MAINTENANCE:

AIRPLANE, GLIDER