Winter Migration

GrassStripFlyBoy

• 4 months later...

This Ipad set up looks awesome, but I have a couple of questions. 

Can this be done on an slsa or only an experimental? If I can mount it, can I hard wire a power cord for the iPad to come out of the side of the mushroom, just to lessen wires running through the cockpit? Is any additional support needed on the inside of the mushroom? Is that a full size iPad or mini? If it is a mini, will it work with a full size pad? And last, does it block the air from the window vent from reaching the pilot (it was 103 degrees here today)?

Looks like the perfect set up!

Thanks,

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

People have been placing Ram ball mounts on CT's regardless of Std or Exp type, and all sorts of GA certified too, now - I'm not saying no problem in doing so, but when in comes to little trinket things in the cabin I've yet to hear of anyone having an issue in doing so.  If you start running wires around hard wired in, that might draw some questions - perhaps talk with your mechanic or an avionics shop.  FYI, I bundled the power cord to stuff in the POH slot on bottom of panel, this keeps it out of your lap, just a little run from the USB to this area, then another little jump to the Ipad, never have to mess with it.

I bought the all plastic ball mount which weighs very little: RAM Mounts 2.5" Plastic Diameter Round AMPS Mounting Plate RAP-B-202U 793442802027 | eBay

On the SW there is a seam line about half way up the side, push with you fingers and find the firmest location.  I thought about making a doubler for backing on the inside but that was not required.  Take a rounded file and shape the bottom of mount to follow the same contour of the panel, so it doesn't crush down the composite, and this also gives better contact to the top and bottom edges for stability.

That short arm worked ok, but replaced with this RAM Mount Plastic Double 1 inch Socket Swivel Arm RAP-B-200-2U | eBay to allow more adjustment in location, and then stuffed a piece of foam between the mount and panel to stabilize it, works well.

No issues with airflow on the side vent.  It's a mini on my set up, would work with full size.

To make it legal for a SLSA I think all it would take would be a request for a MRA from Flight Design. I would add a USB outlet near the ball mount on the side of the mushroom while you at it. I would get an outlet with USB A and C. Also get a goo quality aircraft grade outlet. I have been hearing complaints that the new iPads will not stay charged up while using Foreflight and others with the cheap outlets.

I think I'm the first one to mount a RAM ball in that location, and it has been on my airplane for well over five years.  For SLSA it's technically not legal, since it's a permanent installation of the ball, even though the tablet itself is removable.  It certainly seems like the kind of thing FD would issue a quick MRA for, but you never know.  I doubt it's the kind of think an FAA ramp checker would ding you or ground the airplane for, but again you never know.

Keep in mind, if you do this mount location it's important to put some kind of backing stiffener behind the mount.  The instrument pod material is very thin and flexible, so you risk cracking or tearing it if you hand a bunch of weight on it.  I used strips of 0.060" aluminum inside the panel, so that the mushroom material is sandwiched between the RAM mount and the aluminum, with the mounting screws going through all three.