CT4ME

C4 4-Seat CT Picture

I can't believe (or maybe I missed it) nobody has posted about the push by AOPA/EAA to consolidate the recreational pilot with the sport pilot allowing a 180 HP, 4 place plane to be flown. This would bring the C4 into this realm, I think? Imagine a sport plane with 160kts capability and no weight limit. Almost makes me want to give back my turbo and go with it. If that rule is approved, it's going to hurt the little guys in the LSA market, but both Flight Design and Tecnam may know something we don't. Maybe the handwriting is on the wall and they're just getting prepared for the inevitable.

John

It won't be announced 'til tomorrow... but here's a picture tonite! The Flight Design C4

FDC4.JPG

C4_WEb.jpg

tim

The flight design engineers are really helping increase the value of our planes. I love the forward thinking these guys are showing. How cool would it be to own a new 4 seater

Gary

FLIGHT DESIGN OFFER E-Z UPGRADE TO C4

Thursday 2 February, 2012 7:10 am | C4,News Releases

Major Price Advantage Offered to CTLS Buyers

Leinfelden-Echterdingen, GERMANY / 1 February 2012 — Recognizing the loyalty that carries a customer from a starting model to a larger airplane, Flight Design has announced a strong incentive program to present-day buyers of its CTLS Light-Sport Aircraft. Buyers who elect can gain a delivery position for the German company’s coming four seater, the C4, plus an additional discount.

“Purchase a new Flight Design CTLS, MC or Supralight aircraft [for European customers] and have an exciting, new Flight Design C4 placed on order in your name under the preferential C4 ‘Early Bird’ order program. Your initial C4 order deposit (US $7,000 or €5.000) will be fully funded by Flight Design,” exclaimed John Doman, Director of Business Development and Global Sales & Marketing for Flight Design GmbH. “At the time of delivery of your C4, this deposit amount will be credited toward the balance due along with an additional discount of US $10,000 or €7.000. Total credit amount at delivery of your new C4: US $17,000 or €12.000.”

“This new program offers exceptional value to CTLS customers who may wish to upgrade to a larger Flight Design later,” noted Flight Design USA President Tom Peghiny. “This C4 E-Z Upgrade program joined with our recently announced eXtended Protection (XP) Warranty demonstrates how hard we are working to give the best prices and values to our customers. We respect the close relationship we have with our buyers and we are determined to maintain and improve it,” Peghiny added.C4DenaliStock_JG_300X225.jpg

The C4 E-Z Upgrade program has a time limit. The offer is valid for new Flight Design aircraft purchased by retail buyers, including flight schools, from January 1, 2012 to April 30, 2012. The C4 E-Z Upgrade benefit is valid only for the original purchaser of a new CTLS, MC or Supralight under the program and is not transferable. Additional deposits toward the purchase of a C4 will be due when the prototype makes its first flight and five months prior to delivery. Those additional deposits must be made as required or the C4 E-Z Upgrade benefit will be forfeited.

FACTS ABOUT FLIGHT DESIGN GmbH

Flight Design is a 24-year-old manufacturer based in Germany. The company remains the worldwide Light-Sport Aircraft market leader thanks to its popular CT series of aircraft. More than 1,700 of these aircraft are flying in 39 countries. One of the first aircraft certified under ASTM International standards in 2005, the CT (“composite technology”) remains the top-selling LSA in America through seven consecutive years. Flight Design’s new XP Warranty adds significant value for owners and pairs with the best service center network in the LSA industry. Flight Design sold the first LSA to India and was the first LSA to earn Chinese Type Design Approval. Three times a CT has been flown around the world. In 2011, the German company unveiled its C4 four seat aircraft based on the CT technology.

Photos:

http://FlightDesignUSA.com/media/

I am very pleased with all the recent happenings that are taking place at Flight Design! My new CTLS is arriving soon... Upgraded (free of cost) to a Garmin 796... The new warranty program gives me fabulous extended protection! Now this new C4 upgrade path! I'm happy to say that I am signing up for the EZ C4 Upgrade Path! (received paperwork today) I'll fly my new CTLS for awhile then turn it over when the C4 is ready to ship... I enjoyed my CTSW, I'll love the CTLS and if the C4 comes in as initially spec'd out it will be a very cost effective and capable true 4 person aircraft for my wife and I to upgrade to! Way to go Flight Design!

old argument... unknown answers. But what materials are being used in all the new military and passenger jets? I'm not sure that aluminum is that great. I've seen plenty of corroded aluminum and, well, we've heard a lot about cracks too. I've touched too many pieces of apparently good aluminum, only to have it crumble in my hands.

In the past all aircraft were manufactured with a given life... as they exceeded that life, the lifetime was extended. I think most of the composites are in that stage... of being extended. I understand the Diamonds initially had a number of hours assigned to their lifetime, which has been extended to "unlimited". I've read that the Cirrus has had their "lifetime" extended several times... up to something like 12,000 hours now.

I've been pretty impressed when looking at how well composite aircraft have protected their occupants in survivable crashes. The seem to absorb a great deal of energy.

I personally get creeped-out looking at most 40-50-60 year-old airplanes.... kinda like looking at the plumbing in an old house. Of course, the nicely restored and maintained ones are a different thing entirely. It's one thing to have a museum piece, and something else to have a practical flying machine. I'll take a modern machine... but then I'm smitten by the new tech.

PS... my brother works for a company that makes it's living producing parts for the long-out-of-production airplane fleets. They buy the rights to produce the parts, or knock them off, and keep the old fleets in the skies... mostly in 3rd world countries. Creeps me out.

Just my 2cents

Tim

Tim, is the jury is still out?

'haven't seen any new information on composite lifespan.... but Flight Design decided to extend the warranty of the composite airframe to 5 years. Also lots of new composite aircraft, including helicopters.

Tim

In early April we sent you the update on the C4 Certification plan and alerted you to the schedule impact from both internal and external factors that affected the development of the exciting new airframe from Flight Design. Since then, we have been hard at work on both the aircraft development and the regulatory efforts to speed up the process of delivering the airplane. This development has our full attention and we have seen continued interest in this airplanes development from the Media, Customers and Aviation savvy individuals. We have increased our workforce size, changed internal assignments, secured additional capital and are modifying our processes to help us keep to this new schedule.

We are still on track with the schedule we sent out in April and continue to coordinate with and take fuller advantage of important, substantial changes in aircraft certification criteria now being jointly developed by the FAA and industry leaders. Those meetings continue during early July and the first flight of the C4 proof-of-concept aircraft is anticipated around April, 2014, with certification by EASA and FAA to follow within 12-18 months.

Deliveries can start immediately in conjunction with certification attainment.

As a deposit holder and interested partner, you are getting an early alert to what we plan on revealing at Oshkosh so you can see what we are doing and also have some sense of the complexity that aircraft certification imposes upon the development process.

You may also have seen a recent Flying Magazine Column by Robert Goyer about our C4 efforts that has resulted in this note sent to him for publication:

Also news worth sharing..

There is additional good news too.

• As more than 50% of the C4 will be US made content, we plan for a final assembly facility in New England near our current Connecticut headquarters.
  • We have established a second production location in South East Asia for both the CTLS series and the C4 as we believe that supplying the market with enough airplanes will be one of the final challenges we will meet.
  • Please stop by our booth at Oshkosh/Airventure and see both the interior and our exterior mock up's of what will surely be the talk of 4 place new aircraft in the coming year.

Tom Peghiny - President FDUSA

Is this like the icon? All hype and no product,or is the ct4 a reality?

The situations are different.  Icon has spent all their money on marketing and the appearance of having a ready product.  Flight Design Gmbh was aggressively engineering the C4 until it hit a rough patch financially due to some issues with folks who owed FD money and some mismanagement of resources.  My understanding is the C4 is basically ready for production, but the status of the project is on hold until FD gets its ducks in a row and on better financial footing.

The C4 is not "hype", there are flight tested prototypes.  My guess is you will see it in production eventually, but not for a few more years yet.

The C-4 uses existing technology to produce an evolutionary product that brings advanced technology to those with a small budget.  The icon on the other hand is just stupid and many bought into it.

CT is on the right track.  The C4 is based on a stretched airframe of the already proven CT.  And a new engine from Continental that has already been certified. 

The first flights have been made.  Production plans were in place and a US assembly site was identified and in the process of being constructed.  If Flight Design gets going again, the C4 will no doubt follow quickly...we still wait for the government goofs at the FAA to get the Part 23 rewrite done though...and this burp in the process is less of an impact due to that delay anyway.