EGT Puzzle - Rotax 912 - 2006 CTSW

robjahnke

Thanks Roger. So is a 250 F split between the front and rear cylinders at 4600 RPM a problem?   There is less than 50 F difference between all cylinders at WOT. I think it depends on what is causing the split at lower RPM that matters. That is what I was trying to get people to explore with the PUZZLE question 🙂 If we were to understand what causes that phenomenon in the Rotax 912, we could better judge if there is anything we could/should do about it. If it IS a problem, it is easily 'Solved' by running at 5000 RPM. 

Rob

By-the-way, for those in the upper midwest, My go-to guy on Rotax questions is Brett Lawton of Leading Edge Air Foils in Lyons, WI, southwest of Milwaukee.  tech@leadingedgeairfoils.com or  800-532-3462 ext 154.  Very competent, knowledgeable, good with troubleshooting and a pleasant fellow to work with.  Leading Edge, is one of the big Rotax distributors, along with CPS, Lockwood, etc.  I've always been happy with their support and work with Rotax.

250° is the difference between front and rear cylinders. He is within about 50 side to side. I have not seen a 912 ULS powered CT with 4 position EGT probes, so I have no idea what normal is. I suspect what he is seeing is normal for the CT, and has to do both with the engine and installation designs.