Gearbox Overhaul Questions

FlyingMonkey

I'm about 150 hours out from my 1000hr Rotax gearbox overhaul.  I'll probably do it next February during my annual, and I will likely replace my prop at the same time, with either a Sensenich or an E-Props Durendal.  I think the gearbox removal requires a special puller tool you can rent from Lockwood.

Does anybody that has done this have any recommendations or cautions on this?  I'm just curious what to expect.  I assume an oil purge is required afterwards since you are opening the engine up to air.

Thanks!

The one from CPS is $90 and you may only use it once ever unless you do it for a living. I'll take a picture tomorrow when I go to the field of my homemade one. It cost around $30 for everything and was easy to do. Just a bolt together setup with some 1" angle iron and a slide hammer from Harbor Freight. 

1 hour ago, Roger Lee said:

The one from CPS is $90 and you may only use it once ever unless you do it for a living. I'll take a picture tomorrow when I go to the field of my homemade one. It cost around $30 for everything and was easy to do. Just a bolt together setup with some 1" angle iron and a slide hammer from Harbor Freight. 

My homemade one is the same as Roger's. I used what I had on hand.

6 hours ago, BravoFoxtrot said:

Here is a nice writeup on the procedure:

ROTAX 912ULS Removal of Propeller Reduction Gearbox (aerofixaviation.co.uk)

Are you going to have Lockwood do the overhaul? I know Roger also does these. Perhaps he has a puller you could use?

I think you have to send the gearbox to Lockwood.  If Roger does them I'd certainly prefer to use him.

12 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

Homemade gearbox puller. Then you can use either an all thread 18" bolt with a 5 lb weight or just go to harbor Freight and buy a cheap slide hammer.

Homemade Gearbox puller1.pdf 147.91 kB · 4 downloads

Thanks Roger.  Is 1/8" thick aluminum angle strong enough, or does it need to be steel?  Aluminum is much easier to cut and drill!  :D