Dynon Software 16.0.1 Software Install - EMS Failure ???

andyb

Today I installed the new Dynon software, which I've done in the past uneventfully.  Upon installation, I got an EMS Failure notification on both displays.  

I've re-booted, and also re-downloaded software to USB to make sure there wasn't some kind of error there.  I'm AOG/SOL right now.  Any suggestions, please?

Andy

image.png.d3647b410f50b521cda028cdcb6a4372.png

image.png.c2c3e9fce2d2861bbe739f0d0749c710.png

So much for Dynon’s customer service. Came out to airport, pulled plane out of hangar. Called tech support. No one answering. Had to leave message. 

perhaps they expect me to sit at airport all day, to wait for when they’re ready to call me back. No one there answering in any departments  

I’m well aware of COVID challenges. I’m aware Monday is busy. Royally pissed nonetheless. 

andy

You can share your irritation with us, but my experience is that it is utterly unrealistic to expect Dynon or anyone else to respond to you on a Monday the way you desire and I base that on  my experience with LEAF, SteinAir, Dynon, FDUSA and Airtime Aviation.  Every other pilot in the universe is expecting their little problem to be top of the list.  Of course, since Dynon is Pacific Time, there is no use to call before 1000 CST but one can try at 1800 CST and might get someone.

Yes, I had an issue today that needed vocal consultation with LEAF.  Finally got through to Brett at 1330.  He was swamped all morning.  I needed to talk to Arian at FDUSA and was lucky enough to get him on the phone about 1100 CST.

What I have done with Dynon is send an email over the weekend with the hope that they'll see it promptly, thought that doesn't always happen, but when they do it gives them some background of the problem.

Dynon support has been quite good when I get them on the line.

14 hours ago, Jim Meade said:

You can share your irritation with us, but my experience is that it is utterly unrealistic to expect Dynon or anyone else to respond to you on a Monday the way you desire and I base that on  my experience with LEAF, SteinAir, Dynon, FDUSA and Airtime Aviation.  Every other pilot in the universe is expecting their little problem to be top of the list.  Of course, since Dynon is Pacific Time, there is no use to call before 1000 CST but one can try at 1800 CST and might get someone.

Yes, I had an issue today that needed vocal consultation with LEAF.  Finally got through to Brett at 1330.  He was swamped all morning.  I needed to talk to Arian at FDUSA and was lucky enough to get him on the phone about 1100 CST.

What I have done with Dynon is send an email over the weekend with the hope that they'll see it promptly, thought that doesn't always happen, but when they do it gives them some background of the problem.

Dynon support has been quite good when I get them on the line.

Jim,

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but we don't see it the same way. Reasonable people sometimes disagree.

First, I agree that Dynon's service, once they're on the phone, is very good.  While my problem is not yet resolved, when I heard back the person was good and helpful.  But, there are a number of factors here.  First, the problem I had was one that others had has well.  Had I known the risk of that happening, I would have postponed the update.  While my experience is that other airframe and avionics manufacturers have had a way to have an grounded airplane issue addressed immediately, I understand that there can be times when they're overwhelmed.  The biggest issue to me was that I needed to be at the plane to resolve the issue, I live a half hour away, and I had no idea when they would return my call.  An hour, the next day?

So, recognizing that they could be in a position in which they couldn't take my call, what could they do to avoid the issue I was facing?  I would have hoped that someone, even not a tech support person, could answer my call.  It would have been very helpful to know that the return call was 1/2 hour away, or a day away.  Many support lines have a mechanism that tells you what the anticipated wait is, or where you are in the que.  That would have been helpful as well.

I guess "little" problem is in the eyes of the beholder.  My plane was grounded for three days because of a glitch in their software update.  I was at the airport, and had no idea when I'd be able to talk to someone, and therefore didn't know whether to go home or wait it out.  Possibly spend the day there, and still not hear back.

I love the Dynon products, and agree with you that once they're on the line, they're very helpful.  My frustration was with  the process to access tech support. 

Andy

Post script added Tues

This morning, 10:15 CST, I called with follow-up question to resolve another issue with software update, and also got voicemail.  Not a big issue today, as I believe that the issue can be handled from home.  But, it's not just a Monday morning issue.

Putting myself in the chair of the Dynon CEO, who I realize wants to provide great service, would I be satisfied if a mistake in my company's software update disabled an otherwise airworthy plane, and my customer had to sit at the airport, not knowing when someone would get back to him?  I can tell you, I sat in a similar chair during my working life, and my perspective would have been that we had created a customer problem, and I would have wanted the customer's inconvenience minimized to resolve it.  At a minimum, have someone there to give him some guidance about when he should expect to speak with someone, offer an appointment time, etc.