Carb Balance

GrassStripFlyBoy

Noticed over the past few flights this winter, and have been few these last months being poor conditions, the engine seemed not as smooth at cruise.  Very slight stuff here, thought maybe it's the headset, and I moved the Ipad to side of mushroom and saw some vibrations there, but unsure if worse.  This past week I pulled the cowl and checked the carb linkage movements relative to throttle position.  Worked the throttle forward teeny tiny bits and noticed RH carb did not start to move at same point as LH, and likewise when hitting WOT the LH touched the stop a tic before the RH.  So this was a simple mechanical balance to correct, and we're talking very slight difference.

Went out this morning and she's purring smooooth!  No vibration noticed on the Ipad or cell phone mounts, and has that nice Rotax hum.  I balanced these last summer for similar situation, will probably check this more often, it's simple stuff but makes all the difference in how the engine runs, so thought a heads up to the forum on the topic was worth a post as season is upon us.

Flew three times in last week, did oil change today with hanger door open and sun shining in wearing just a sweatshirt.  I think I survived another Michigan winter.