A-Star Heli Visit

Never, well at least rarely anyways.  My neighbor and past Sargent in the aero unit joined CPB out of Selfridge base near Detroit.  He did not feel like commuting to work today for a call out in northern MI so was picked up here, talking of making more of this happening and I welcome it.  They also fly a C-206, Blackhawk, and King Air along with this A-Star.  I've hopped rides in the King Air and the A-Star in years past, being in the county aero unit has lead to some unique experiences.  If you ever hear call sign over radio of "Omaha" or now the newer phrase "Troy", those are the good guys out doing their stuff.  

In a few of the more lengthy searches our unit flew joint missions with these guys, as well as Coast Guard, Royal Canadian Air Force, and State Police.  We compliment each other well, obviously they have serious equipment and personal, but also a much longer time for reacting with chain of command / decision of deployment / and where the assets are.  Whereas our dispatch can say launch within a minute of a 911 call with zero approvals.  Having the plane at home equals 50% of calls come to me.  There have been a couple call outs that were completed before Coast Guard even got close to arriving area.  When an overdue kayaker is on lake, or wind is blowing a raft to Canada, it is usually well under a :30 search to give coordinates to marine unit.