Tire failure on takeoff

Bill3558

Passing this along so you don’t make the same mistake I did. I have been gone for 6 weeks and was very anxious to fly my airplane. It was late in the day and thought I had time to get in some pattern work. Did preflight, tire pressure looked good, but didn’t check the pressure. Did 3 takeoffs and landings.  On third one I braked heavily and spun the plane around to back taxi for one more takeoff. Little did I know that I had just spun the tire on the rim and sheared off the valve and the tire was deflating. Started take off roll and had a little vibration but at 35 knots just before flying off the tire went completely flat. Bad shaking and sharp veer to the left. Chopped power and was able to keep the plane more or less straight with a lot of right rudder. 
I got some help pushing the plane off into the grass and fixed the tire next morning. No damage to the rim thank goodness. 
Lessons learned: Eyeballing tire pressure may not be enough, and take it easy on the brakes. 

Yes, i too have eyeballed the tire pressure - looked possibly low but thought it was  fine and felt a bit lazy to check  -  but posts like these are reminders to not take the 'shortcut' and to do the preflight properly.    Thank you.