I Love the Rotax Engines!

FlyingMonkey

I just wanted to gush a little about Rotax.

I just finished my conditional/100hr inspection.  My engine has right at 850 hours (730 be me), and is 15 years old (late 2006 manufacture).  The compressions are 78-79/80 on all cylinders.  The engine runs beautifully, and doesn't leak any fluids.

All I really do is scheduled maintenance.  I change the plugs at every conditional inspection, and change the oil every 50hr (93 octane mogas).  I do the 5yr rubber change on time, and overhauled the carbs at around 500hrs (which is late, but I don't like messing with things that are working well - carbs were still like new inside).

For unscheduled maintenance, I had one exhaust pipe break requiring a weld fix (in Tucson, inconvenient but Roger saved me), probably due to a poorly adjusted exhaust that was putting pressure on the pipe.  I also had to replace the ignition modules as many of us have.  Other than that...nothing.

This has just been a great engine, and compared to my friends with Ly/Con, Jabiru, or other engines that end up replacing jugs or doing other relatively major engine work every 300-600 hours, it has been supremely reliable.  I think liquid cooled heads and the advanced cylinder linings really help with keeping this thing ticking along.  I would not hesitate to buy another Rotax engine, and in fact would be a little wary of buying an airplane with a different engine installed.  I have gotten used to this level of reliability, and suspect most other engine types would frustrate me.

Andy I'll agree that these engines are amazing, when it's time to upgrade the plane to a 4 pax, I'll likely go to a Sling with the 915!  my engine has 375 SMOH and comps were 84 to 85 on all cylinders, she's making very little metal and only a slight weep of coolant from the breather (or what ever it's called) at the bottom of the case, so little I don't need to add any between condition inspection.  I also has a crack in the exhaust that was a very easy fix. 

The CT is a great plane IMHO, in the MX department, as long as you stay on top of things.  I've addressed every MX item needed over the last 2 inspections so I'm comfortable taking her anywhere.  (2 years on the rubber, 1 year on the chute and rocket, 1 year on the wing pull, new front gear bushings this year, new breaks, tubes and tires last year, sealed the fuel tanks (had a leak from the patch they come with from the factory)

Next investment is a panel upgrade swapping my BK KX125 for the Garmin GNC 355, upgrading my TT Digiflight IIVS to the XCruze and off to start IFR training.

I'm sold on Rotax as well.  I'm looking to move up to a 4 seater sometime next year.  I was thinking the Sling route but they are 10 months out on a kit and the high wing price is going to be around 350k finished(plus a year build time).  Talked with the guys at Airtime and the F4 should be out before I can get a Sling kit delivered and finished for about the same money.  Performance should be the same so I'm planning to just wait for the F4.

Have a Kitfox S7 that should be finished this Spring, will be powered by an Edge Performance 914 with fuel injection.  Ready for a turbo!

I can't see myself flying behind anything except Rotax if I can help it.

1 hour ago, okent said:

I'm sold on Rotax as well.  I'm looking to move up to a 4 seater sometime next year.  I was thinking the Sling route but they are 10 months out on a kit and the high wing price is going to be around 350k finished(plus a year build time).  Talked with the guys at Airtime and the F4 should be out before I can get a Sling kit delivered and finished for about the same money.  Performance should be the same so I'm planning to just wait for the F4.

Have a Kitfox S7 that should be finished this Spring, will be powered by an Edge Performance 914 with fuel injection.  Ready for a turbo!

I can't see myself flying behind anything except Rotax if I can help it.

Are you saying that Sling high wing will be $350k just for the quick build kit and the engine and avionics ?

1 hour ago, Warmi said:

Are you saying that Sling high wing will be $350k just for the quick build kit and the engine and avionics ?

From the research I have done this is about right 915 and well optioned interior and avionics, paint, etc..  If you search YouTube for MojoGrip you'll see the TSI he just finished building.  That was for sure over $300K as optioned.  

I'll wait for the Sling 4 to drop a bit in price as the TSI start to hit the market, too much $$$ for me.

You can get a factory build Savage Norden with Rotax 915is for about $140k  - granted it is a high wing STOL plane but , still , there is nothing special in the new Sling 4 high wing that would warrant additional $150k ... except  of course the fact that enough people are willing to pay that much which makes my point pretty moot I guess ...it can’t be overpriced if people keep buying it 🙂