Ipad will not stay charged

Ken

Hi Folks:

Anyone have issue keeping there iPad charged while flying? I can't keep mine charged even though it says it is charging it just keeps discharging till it shuts down.

Still had a nice flight down to Ocracoke yesterday. Airport ( W95) is almost on the beach just a short walk to the ocean.

Ken

Are you using a USB power outlet charger. If so, make sure you have a higher current one. I have one that is a dual 2.1 amp port charger. This charges my iPad (albeit slowly) while the screen is on and foreflight is running. Some of the “cheaper” chargers just can’t keep up, and might only provide 1/2 amp of charge current, which can’t keep up with a running iPad.

My iPad would read about 70% after a 5 hours flight with ForeFlight and the “internet” link running to the Dynon... I used a cheap power cord.  I Changed out the power cord to a high quality one and just returned from a 15 hours trip (3 legs) and the charge reading was 100% the whole time.  I did adjust the iPad brightness down a bit as well... 

The one  thing to learn from all this is use the proper chargers/cables.   I dont like paying for the "real" waaaaay overpriced ones, but i have learnt that the cheap ones cause more trouble.    Just stop losing them and should last you years :)     

I have had my iPad discharge while flying a few times.  It's like the iPad doesn't recognize the charger is connected and just discharges from the internal battery.  For me it's intermittent and rare, has happened maybe five times in all the flights I have made.  I think it might be an iPad/IOS issue instead of your charger.

3 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

I have had my iPad discharge while flying a few times.  It's like the iPad doesn't recognize the charger is connected and just discharges from the internal battery.  For me it's intermittent and rare, has happened maybe five times in all the flights I have made.  I think it might be an iPad/IOS issue instead of your charger.

I've had this happen a few times, I carry 2 extra cables in the cabin and when the discharge is greater than the charge I will swap cables and all but 1 instance this corrected the issue.  The connector on the cable has an issue with dirt, grime, corrosion and the like and do degrade.  The higher cost ones are better, but they will degrade over time.

I've taken a cable that was giving me issues and hit it with contact cleaner and it came back to life, went bad weeks later.