Which air filter is for CTLSi?

airhound

Rotax doesn't supply air filters. That is left up to the builder or Mfg. It's a K&N filter and can be purchased online. It's a common filter. FD uses or used a Mann paper air filter. It doesn't have to come from Rotax. Rotax says it has to be either a direct replacement or an equivalent. This is like the gearbox sealant that Rotax says to use. They use Loctite 5910 because that's what they have in Europe. We have and are allowed to use Loctite 598 because it is an exact equivalent. This is just like the 7.5mm hose. 5/16" is an equivalent. 

Just like the CTSW air filter. (not the same for the 912iS) It is a K&N 33-2092 which was meant for a Volkswagen Jetta. I got this and the Odyssey battery approved here in the US because FD didn't know about them.

That said you should not need one because it should be a lifetime filter unless you ruin it with solvents or gas. You clean it and oil it. That's it. I use Oil Eater to clean mine. It is water based and biodegradable. It won't hurt the gauze under the mesh. Do not use gasoline or harsh solvents or you will ruin it.

14 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

The filters come from Rotax, but it is a clean and treat filter. Most likely it does not need replaced.

This is like the 7.5mm hose. It's a K&N filter that was purchased and used out of Europe. Why not buy the same one here in the states on Amazon or from K&N.

5 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

Rotax doesn't supply air filters. That is left up to the builder or Mfg. It's a K&N filter and can be purchased online. It's a common filter. FD uses or used a Mann paper air filter. It doesn't have to come from Rotax. Rotax says it has to be either a direct replacement or an equivalent. This is like the gearbox sealant that Rotax says to use. They use Loctite 5910 because that's what they have in Europe. We have and are allowed to use Loctite 598 because it is an exact equivalent. This is just like the 7.5mm hose. 5/16" is an equivalent. 

Just like the CTSW air filter. (not the same for the 912iS) It is a K&N 33-2092 which was meant for a Volkswagen Jetta. I got this and the Odyssey battery approved here in the US because FD didn't know about them.

That said you should not need one because it should be a lifetime filter unless you ruin it with solvents or gas. You clean it and oil it. That's it. I use Oil Eater to clean mine. It is water based and biodegradable. It won't hurt the gauze under the mesh. Do not use gasoline or harsh solvents or you will ruin it.

5 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

This is like the 7.5mm hose. It's a K&N filter that was purchased and used out of Europe. Why not buy the same one here in the states on Amazon or from K&N.

33-2092 is a flat rectangle for SW no doubt. The CTLIS is cylindrical. Any part number out there? 

10 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

The only time I have had to replace a cleanable filter was because it had previously been installed wrong, and it had taken a set the the plastic where the clamp had been tightened down, and the plastic was almost as hard as a rock. The filter would not go into the position it should on the back of the carb, so I replaced it. It had Rotax molded on the end cap, and it was shown in the Rotax parts catalog, so I ordered it from Rotax. At the time I didn't have an Amazon account yet, and it was readily available from my Rotax parts supplier.

It's just a K&N filter. They consider this filter a universal filter. I'll make a phone call and get the exact K&N number. Rotax doesn't have them made they just buy them from K&N. Just like Rotax had to drop NGK plugs because NGK didn't want the liability. So they got with Bosch and just had the Rotax logo stamped on so Rotax would assume all liability. This is how companies absorb the liability from the original Mfg. and keep the original company from not allowing their use. 

https://www.cps-parts.com/catalog/rtxpages/cps08-06098.php

You are just using a K&N RC-1200, but the one without the metal end cap. They make it both ways. It's one of their more popular air filters that goes on many vehicles. Been using it on 2 strokes for many years.

https://www.knfilters.com/rc-1200-universal-clamp-on-air-filter

Roger, why don't you provide Flight Design with this info and get an LOA so it's legal?

It is odd to me that you talk so strongly about liability, yet you assume it yourself and advise others on this forum to take actions such as use non-approved parts that could place liabiltiy on the forum readers.  

How can you sign a logbook saying you followed FD or Rotax manuals when you use a non-standard part with no LOA?