Avionics questions

Towner

My CT has a garmin GNC 250xl radio/GPS installed along with a 496. It also has the dynon 100/120.

My problem with this set up is the 250xl does not allow you to monitor the standby frequency, which can be a problem in busy airspace, such as when u are trying to pick up atis while still being in contact with approach. 

Also, the 496 is really to small for me to get much use out of the map. I still use foreflight for my primary map, but I loose connection occasionally. I would like something like an iFLY 740 to replace the 496 so I have a bigger map, but I don't think it will fit because the 250xl is taller than an sl30 or sl40.

Overall, the system works, but I was wondering if there was an inexpensive way to improve on these issues.

Would it be worth it for me to replace the 250xl with a used sl30? I could then monitor the standby frequency, add vor navigation, which I don't have now, and still maintain gps through foreflight and adding an iFLY 740.

Looking for thoughts and other ideas. It's already a better panel than all the old stuff I used to fly, so I don't want to throw a lot of money at it, but being able to monitor a standby or having a second radio, would be nice. So would a bigger moving map!

Thanks in advance! 

The SL30 and iFly would be a good call. If VOR isn’t a must (I have it and can count the times I used it for more than just playing around and confirm it works on 1 hand). Check out the com radio from Val, their COM 2000. Same functionality as a SL40 for $1300 new. If you run a garment GPS such as your 496, a 696 (one for sale on this forum) or a 796 you can push com frequencies straight from the gps. 

you can’t go wrong with the SL30 though, but they are pricy on the used market, $2800 on a good day. 

1 hour ago, johnnyjr said:

The SL30 and iFly would be a good call. If VOR isn’t a must (I have it and can count the times I used it for more than just playing around and confirm it works on 1 hand). Check out the com radio from Val, their COM 2000. Same functionality as a SL40 for $1300 new. If you run a garment GPS such as your 496, a 696 (one for sale on this forum) or a 796 you can push com frequencies straight from the gps. 

you can’t go wrong with the SL30 though, but they are pricy on the used market, $2800 on a good day. 

I am about to replace my 2012 SL 30 with a new GTR 200B since I have no use for a NAV radio and was going to post it on eBay for about $1300 ( enough to cover the cost of the GTR com ) - you think it would sell for more than that ?

I really don't need to have vor navigation, so that isn't much of an issue.

Looking at the radio Warmi posted about, that may be the way to go too. It allows you to monitor the standby, plus it has a built in intercom and Bluetooth! It looks pretty slim and I could probably fit a iFLY in there too.

Maybe I should wait until Oshkosh, go there and look at all my options. Maybe they'll have special prices too!

In the meantime, please keep any suggestions coming. 

Thanks,

Jeff

10 hours ago, Warmi said:

you think it would sell for more than that ?It should go in the $2k easy there is one listed now for $900 and it parts only, on eBay.  I have never seen one under $2500 on eBay. All the used avionics site have them for $2800 and up depending condition.  It’s desirable for sure. If you want to sell it to a fellow CT owner for $1300 let me know, my buddy on my field has a CT and wants to swap his SL40 for a 30 so he can give basic IFR lessons in it