CAPS saves Cirrus in mid-air over Colorado

GlennM

1 hour ago, FlyingMonkey said:

This is one of those "likely unsurvivable except with a parachute" events.  Very glad it worked out so well for all involved!

A low wing in a right bank. Probably would have not been able to see the jet. A bit slower and the cirrus would have clipped the vertical stabilizer and then it would have been over for the people on the metro liner

1 hour ago, FlyingMonkey said:

If I'm reading the radar correctly, the airplanes were co-altitude so I don't think the wing blocked view.  The Cirrus should have not crossed the runway centerline until he confirmed the position of the airplane on final.  But you know...coulda/woulda/shoulda.

The Cirrus was supposed to be landing on 17R. He shouldn't have crossed the center line of 17R, and definitely shouldn't have been anywhere close to 17L. My guess is that he was watching the Cessna head turned Right, and lost his positional awareness. 

12 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

At about :50 in the video you posted the Cirrus call traffic in sight, and tower tells him to follow the traffic, cleared to land.

Ah...only listened once while doing work tasks, missed that.

The radar track looks like he crosses both centerlines perpendicularly.  Even if he was turning out on 17L it looks like he was way overshooting the turn.  Just kind of a strange accident.