Spring 2021 LSA MOSAIC Rules update

Skunkworks85

https://bydanjohnson.com/spring-2021-update-on-faas-proposed-new-regulation-for-light-sport-aircraft-light-personal-aircraft/?fbclid=IwAR3wLwPka-RcwhruIX8IvHqq3Bf5neabZaztH7ejjG9GA35kITLYSdyWWeI

My question is, an LSA is a subset of the LPA rules, You will need a PPL and Need Basic Med to fly the LPA. So what is different than current?

Thoughts?

It looks like nothing will be different for a Sport Pilots .. the way I read it , the new LPA will be a category of non certified,  factory build planes I.e Sling 4 or perhaps Sling 2 at 1560 lbs , available to PPL holders only.

Makes no sense to me. A lot of LSA aircraft are much more difficult to fly than a C172 or a PA 28. Speeds are similar to what we fly now. Why can't a sport pilot add a little weight and 2 extra seats to fly these very simple, easy to fly aircraft? I believe there would be less accidents with sport pilots flying a C172 than many of the "touchy" light sports they are flying now. While I really like my CT, it isn't the easiest plane to land, and has other quirks a 172 doesn't have! Makes no sense to me. I guess I'm stuck with 2 seats!

So an LPA is just a personal airplane?  Stupid rule, how is that any different than a 172? ASTM build methods?  Who cares? There is no doubt LPA will push up into certified airplane pricing, so it's a distinction without a difference. 

Sigh...the FAA could f*ck up a bowel movement.

Both Dan Johnson and EAA put out additional information on LSA, PSA and sport pilot changes yesterday. Now, they are making it seem likely that there will be an increase in LSA weight, using a power index formula, but up to what weight is still unknown. Sport pilot limits will change to match the new LSA limits. Since they don't know what power index will be used, that aren't sure if legacy aircraft such as a c150 or c172 will fit the category. 

It seems a lot of people want more weight, which they are making it sound like a sure thing. 

I'm happy with the useful load and speed of my CT.  Of course, we always want more, but I can live with what I have. I just NEED the ability to fly with 4 seats, which of course means more weight. If the rule changes allow me to fly a 172 or pa28, I'll make the change. I wouldn't be able to afford a new 4 seat CT!

Of course because they may allow a Sport pilot to fly a 4 seat airplane, will they allow a Sport pilot to put 4 people in it?

Lots of unanswered questions, but his updated statement seems better than the last.

On 5/16/2021 at 7:32 PM, Towner said:

Makes no sense to me. A lot of LSA aircraft are much more difficult to fly than a C172 or a PA 28. Speeds are similar to what we fly now. Why can't a sport pilot add a little weight and 2 extra seats to fly these very simple, easy to fly aircraft? I believe there would be less accidents with sport pilots flying a C172 than many of the "touchy" light sports they are flying now. While I really like my CT, it isn't the easiest plane to land, and has other quirks a 172 doesn't have! Makes no sense to me. I guess I'm stuck with 2 seats!

No, it doesn't make sense but it did allow many pilots to continue flying. 

I always thought that after a few decades of flying and owning numerous Cessna high wing aircraft that my safest path forward would have been to remove the rear seats of my C-182 and be restricted to all the other LSA rules like VFR only, no night. no flights above 10K, etc.

At this point, with basic med, I am considering going back to a C-182. We'll see.

Well, I'm stuck flying as a sport pilot now as even basic med probably wouldn't work out for me. While limited, I can live with most of the sport pilot rules. I just don't understand why we are limited to one passenger, and of course the weight of 1320. Again, a Cherokee is a much easier airplane to fly, thus probably being safer all around. It's speeds are comparable to a CT (probably a little slower). I can keep it under 10k altitude, vfr, daytime only, and it will almost land itself.

Even with a 1320 gross weight, if a had a small seat, my family of three could fly together on short trips without being over weight. Yes, I know adding another seat is going to add to the empty weight, but I think you get my idea.

Since it seems most flying under sport pilot rules are private pilots not wanting to deal with medical, why not let us fly at night and over 10k too? We have already been trained to do it. For people starting off as a new sport pilot, why not let them add it on with additional training. 

I know, now I'm asking for way to much, but it seems reasonable to me. I guess my biggest question is why can I fly one type of airplane without a medical, but not others I have been trained to fly? I would understand needing a medical to fly passengers or other "for hire" applications, but not for just changing the type of airplane. 

Even with all my complaints, I can live with all of the sport pilot limits, except I really, really need another seat. My last plane was a Mooney. It was the perfect traveling airplane for me. I'm not asking to fly a complex airplane as a sport pilot, just a cherokee!