asymmymetrical flight

ADAM Alain

I would inspect the system to make sure there is nothing bent. Next I would check all the bearings in the control system. A stiff bearing might cause the freer side to move more.

Also recheck any work that was performed immediately prior to the problem happening.

Before you do any adjustments re-trim the plane. Put the three trim wheels back to a more centered neutral position. After you take off and level out set the pitch trim first so you're not fighting up & down. Then set the aileron trim next and lastly set the rudder trim. Do it in this order. I've seen a number of owner swear their plane isn't rigged right and all it was was cross controlling with the trim wheels.

Once this was done come back and let us know what the results were. 

IIRC there are two front wheelpant designs for the tundra gear, the older one caused some uncommanded yaw issues with some CTSWs.  You might investigate which version you have.  But if this is a recently developed problem, this could be a red herring.  If this is the issue, FD can sell you the newer design.

True asymmetric flaps should not be possible in a CTSW, there is a solid tube with a fixed position for flaps on both sides.  Unless something is bent or otherwise damaged, of course.

1 hour ago, FlyingMonkey said:

IIRC there are two front wheelpant designs for the tundra gear, the older one caused some uncommanded yaw issues with some CTSWs.  You might investigate which version you have.  But if this is a recently developed problem, this could be a red herring.  If this is the issue, FD can sell you the newer design.

True asymmetric flaps should not be possible in a CTSW, there is a solid tube with a fixed position for flaps on both sides.  Unless something is bent or otherwise damaged, of course.

For the wheel pant rudder on the CTSW I would take a look at the rudder centering mechanism. If it has two springs stacked that is the weak spring set up, I would switch it out to the heavy spring. The other thing is if the rods for the nose gear got out of adjustment during maintenance. Both are possibilities.

For the roll with flaps, while it is not a true asymmetrical flap situation, if the bearings for the aileron are stiff on one side it will push the on the free side causing roll. If the control stick moved to the side when flaps are moved this is where I would look.

• 1 month later...