LITHIUM BATTERY QUESTION

Isham

On my flight today I experienced a low voltage warning (-9). 

Is it possible that the Lithium battery can be causing this?  Seems like it charges well but it's about 4-years old.  Last winter after 60-days of sitting it lost the charge (read 68% on charger) but it seemed to charge up fine.  Usually has 98 or 99% after a flight.

I am not sure about the battery that's in your CT but a lot of the 12v. lithium's will shut down if they get to a set low voltage to prevent going past a point of no return.  I recall this being around 70%?  Each % less than full 100% could be significant on a lithium.  The battery may be at a point it needs to be replaced.  Roger Lee might chime in or someone who knows about the lithium's in the CT.  Or, a call to Arian at FD USA in Connecticut might provide you with information?  One thing you might check is to see if your main breakers are causing this.  If the main breakers haven't been used  lately, these sometimes need to be cycled ("excercised") a few times to clean the contacts.   I had a low electrical where my panel actually shut down.  Replacing the two main breakers solved my problem.

4 hours ago, Runtoeat said:

I am not sure about the battery that's in your CT but a lot of the 12v. lithium's will shut down if they get to a set low voltage to prevent going past a point of no return.  I recall this being around 70%?  Each % less than full 100% could be significant on a lithium.  The battery may be at a point it needs to be replaced.  Roger Lee might chime in or someone who knows about the lithium's in the CT.  Or, a call to Arian at FD USA in Connecticut might provide you with information?  One thing you might check is to see if your main breakers are causing this.  If the main breakers haven't been used  lately, these sometimes need to be cycled ("excercised") a few times to clean the contacts.   I had a low electrical where my panel actually shut down.  Replacing the two main breakers solved my problem.

Lithium battery ideal operating range is 40% to 80%. Operation below 40%, and rapid charging above 80% shortens their life.

LiFePo batteries (installed in aircraft), however, are the durable lithium ion chemistry, and are a little bit more tolerant, but still ideally, if one had the ability, stick to the 40-80%