Sign in to follow this  
Bill3558

Gas caps binding

It’s weird, but suddenly both gas caps won’t turn when you flip the tab up. I have to use pliers to turn it, and I’m afraid of breaking it.  I have tried loosening the nut, and lubricating it, but nothing works.  
Have any of you guys had this problem?

You need to disassemble and cut some of the center column off. I had problems after ethanol was added to gasoline.

That’s interesting.  I did use ethanol fuel for a while with the Colonial pipeline shut down.  Thanks for the tip. 

I've had it happen with non ethanol fuel as well. I kept a spare cap around and would swap them out. They will shrink back down and work again.

I've also used EZ turn lubricant, a thin layer, on the various contact parts and O-ring. Lasts a couple years plus.

Don't use it heavily since it doesn't break down in the fuel, you don't want that stuff floating around. Just wipe it over the parts and reassemble.

I put a thin layer of lithium grease on the o-ring, that is usually where they bind.  It's cheap, easy to apply, and works well for 3-6 months per application.

1 hour ago, FlyingMonkey said:

I put a thin layer of lithium grease on the o-ring, that is usually where they bind.  It's cheap, easy to apply, and works well for 3-6 months per application.

Different type of cap, different type of binding.

Hi, Stiff action is sometimes caused by swelling of the cap polymer, there are a variety of fuel additives that can appear in Gasolene.

We use Acetal polymer with added glass to reduce any tendency to swell.  It is the best material available.

The solution is to use 100LL or remove the part of the cap lower saddle  that enters the top of the cap.

This is easily done on a sanding belt or small saw.

Robin