100 Hour Inspection questions

NC Bill

My first one on my "used" CTLS is coming up in say 6 weeks or so - end of May. My annual is due in November.

Roughly how many hours should it take a LSA mechanic to do a 100 hour? How many to do an annual on a CTLS? How about a general aviation A&P?

There are quite a number of items in the MAINTENANCE & INSPECTION PROCEDURES MANUAL that are listed as Owner/Pilot under Minimum Level of Certification. Does the Owner/Pilot need any specific training to do these checklist items?

If I can do all of the Owner/Pilot checklist items, approximately what % of the hours will this reduce the RLSA-M's time by?

Can any FAA certified A&P sign off on these inspections?

Thanks for your input,

Bill

Hi Bill,

The 100 and annual are for the most part the same inspection. Have the mechanic sign off both in the logbook at the same time. Then your good for another 100 hrs. and 1 year, other wise you go back and pay again for another inspection. Yes it's perfectly legal. You can reset the 100 hr or annual anytime you want. How long will it take?

That's up to each mechanic. Some are slow, some are fast. It should take 2-3 days for just an inspection. If you pile on more items on a list and depending on what those items are it could be longer. If you have to get a Rotax rubber replacement plan on 3 days for that and at least 2 more days for an inspection. (5 total) Where it says owner you can do that procedure with out any special training. It may save a little time, but not enough to make a big difference. A good fast mechanic can check the owner items fairly quick as those are usually just looking any way. Either the RLSM-A or an A&P can sign your logbook. Just remember an A&P is supposed to have some training and the correct tools as per the FAA. He just doesn't have to be trained by Rotax any more.

Hi Bill,

Congrats on joining the CT world, you should have a lot of fun with it!!!

I know your plane thoroghly, I think I even assembled it. Lockwood has done most, if not all the MX on your A/C. Here are some things to consider when it comes to caring for your investment:

The same preventive MX procedures for a GA pilot also apply to light sport, with the exception you can only do preventative MX on your own plane. There are several things you can accomplish before you take it in for a check. Reference FAR part 43 appendix A ©. Just make sure you only do this to your own A/C, ref 43.3 (g).

Make sure you mechanic has had Rotax training and a complete set of metric tools. This engine is a different animal and WILL fail if not done by an experienced tech. The tolerances are too tight and the engine is very finicky. However, when it is right, it is a beautiful thing of engineering.

Choose a mechanic with carbon fiber experience, most likely it will need repaired at some point due to normal wear and tear.

Most importantly.......ENJOY!!!

Archived