FD reinforcement of Pitch AP Mount

Big Flapper, where is your pitch servo mounted? Most of the CTLS I have seen had the pitch servo mounted to an aluminum plate under the pilot seat. I am not aware of any reinforcement required for the CTLS installation. The CTSW on the other hand, attaches to the bottom fuselage skin. They are supposed to have the reinforcement that Darrell posted.

9 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

Big Flapper, where is your pitch servo mounted? Most of the CTLS I have seen had the pitch servo mounted to an aluminum plate under the pilot seat. I am not aware of any reinforcement required for the CTLS installation. The CTSW on the other hand, attaches to the bottom fuselage skin. They are supposed to have the reinforcement that Darrell posted.

My servo was mounted to the floor under the pilot's seat without the aluminum plate, I'm planning to add an aluminum plate there.

38 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

That is odd. Was the AP installed in the field? All I've seen were mounted to an aluminum plate that attached where those four screws for the access plate go.

When I removed the servo and linkage I was not impressed with the work. the holes through the bottom of the airplane were not matched (had been redrilled) and one of the linkage bolts was not metric. Probably done in the field.

I was planning to put a 8 in plate under the servo mount for reinforcement. Any suggestions???

After reading these posts I checked my CT and found my factory installed autopilot servo pitch bracket was installed on the fuselage bottom skin with no reinforcement. This caused the screws and washers to crush the foam core. I have since corrected it. Good postings for info.

35 minutes ago, Madhatter said:

After reading these posts I checked my CT and found my factory installed autopilot servo pitch bracket was installed on the fuselage bottom skin with no reinforcement. This caused the screws and washers to crush the foam core. I have since corrected it. Good postings for info.

Hi Madhatter

would you care to elaborate on your fix. My foam core is intact, did you inject something into the core?

My fix was to epoxy an aluminum sheet on top of the bottom skin then filling in the crush area from the washers with epoxy.  I then use stainless fender washers with the screws. The screws and washers can then be tightened without any issues. I do not use 5 min epoxy,  I use the overnight cure epoxy, it's stronger. I lightly sand for better adhesion.