Very crooked nosewheel

Jim Ragain

Last fall I had a new motor mount installed on my 2011 CTLS. After I took delivery of the aircraft from the repair facility I noticed the nosewheel looked canted from left to right (face-on view). I called the repair facility who informed me that “some CT’s are just like that.”  Now that I have flown the aircraft for a few months I pulled the nosewheel fairing to look things over completely. The tire was worn very unevenly to the point of needing replacement. My question to the forum is:  Is this simply a tire wear issue or are there other safety aspects to this?  

1714ECDC-14C0-48D3-B26E-AD725D3CE2FF.jpeg

Agree with Andy's observation that the cross tube looks "tweaked".  I can''t figure out why the wheel is angled relative to the "U" too?  The wheel has to be bent or the axle is bent inside the wheel hub where this doesn't show to allow the wheel to be angled and not parallel to the sides of the "U".  The mount doesn't look new but looks like a salvaged damaged engine mount that has been installed.  Stand back at the front of the CT and look at the front down tube and "U" yoke relative to the fuselage.  This should be totally vertical relative to the fuselage.  Does this angle to the left of the fuselage?

26 minutes ago, Runtoeat said:

Agree with Andy's observation that the cross tube looks "tweaked".  I can''t figure out why the wheel is angled relative to the "U" too?  The wheel has to be bent or the axle is bent inside the wheel hub where this doesn't show to allow the wheel to be angled and not parallel to the sides of the "U".  The mount doesn't look new but looks like a salvaged damaged engine mount that has been installed.  Stand back at the front of the CT and look at the front down tube and "U" yoke relative to the fuselage.  This should be totally vertical relative to the fuselage.  Does this angle to the left of the fuselage?

Agreed.  If I had to guess, both the cross tube I mentioned *and* the axle are bent.  It looks like this nose gear took a very hard side-loaded touchdown.  Again, just guessing...but I think it's a good guess.

How does this airplane taxi?  Are there any shakes, shimmies, wandering, or rubbing noises?

1 hour ago, Jim Ragain said:

I am going to pull the fork and axle this weekend. I will check again for noises during taxi. Surprisingly, It seems to track straight when taxiing. 

Not too surprising, they could probably adjust it to track straight, but as noted that tire is wearing terribly unevenly.  My nose tire lasted seven years before I changed it (and it still had some useful life left), and always wore evenly. 

Personally, I would not fly that airplane with the mount like that except to return it to the maintenance facility.

I don't know.  I tried to document everything photographically, but I did not get a straight on pic of the front of the aircraft.  But, if it was damaged at the time of the Arizona landing, it should have been repaired/ replaced along with the rest of the damage.