D100 panel with 760 and AP74

Ed Cesnalis

Adding the AP74 and moving to the D100 for AP controller was a very nice choice.  The AP input makes it easy.

Mounting the 760 without cutting a new panel is easy.

It's not Sky View but I have all the same functions just fewer split screens and I only see Syn Vis and ADSb traffic and weather on the 760.

236431103_4300720556633443_8687572039561724805_n.jpg

• 1 month later...

How do you like the 760?  Does it interface easily with your autopilot?  My 696 went south just after I spent $200 updating it. 
what did you use for a mount?  Why did you choose this unit?  Seems like there’s not a lot of choices for 696 replacement.  I won’t say r.I.p. for the 696 because of the complex operating menus.  My bias is that it should be intuitive to minimize cockpit workload, such as it is.  I’d the 760 any better that way?

I had an older 496 in my plane when I bought it several years ago.  It was slow and I kept wanting to press the screen for changes.  I couldn’t wait to rip it out.  I installed an Aera 660 with the panel dock.  Wiring was simple, and the auto pilot (CT Pilot) is driven with just one wire.   I did use a remote gps antenna which I placed forward on the dash.  Very economical upgrade.  Yours is even better!

19 hours ago, ctbob said:

How do you like the 760?  Does it interface easily with your autopilot?  My 696 went south just after I spent $200 updating it. 
what did you use for a mount?  Why did you choose this unit?  Seems like there’s not a lot of choices for 696 replacement.  I won’t say r.I.p. for the 696 because of the complex operating menus.  My bias is that it should be intuitive to minimize cockpit workload, such as it is.  I’d the 760 any better that way?

I really appreciate the 760 for the most part.  Moving up from a 496 I can now see and interreact without pause on one hand and the ADSb traffic and weather are included with the traffic being well integrated.  It works perfectly with the D100 and AP74.  I now have the AP do most of my flying often including gps approaches.

The downside is the fact that I still use a tablet and Garmin Pilot in flight.  The vertical profile with integrated layers depicts cloud layers I have to pernitrate.  Widgets and other aspects of a tablet display like Garmin Pilot should be included and well as a vertical profile.

I just bought a simple ball mount the screwed into the portion of my panel that the 496 was docked in.  2 or 3 little parts from Garmin and Ram Mount allowed us to mount over the panel instead of inside with no mods.

Hi Ed, 

Very nice setup, thank you for sharing pictures and review!

I am in the same situation, I would like to replace a 496 connected with TT AP, EFIS D100 and a GTR225 with an Aera 760 or 660. I'm a little worried about space for 760, do you have any details for necessary mounting parts without panel mods and cab/carb heat relocation and maybe for wiring diagram from 496 to 760?

Happy landings,

Alec