Messy magnetic plug removal

Big Flapper

I do the same. Rag below, remove the plug, thumb over the hole, inspect and clean the plug one handed, then reinstall. If someone is around I may have them thumb the hole or clean the plug. If you had two you could pull one and install the clean one right away, then inspect the one removed. Rinse and repeat. 

1 hour ago, Tom Baker said:

I use a chute made from plastic sign board. I slide it under the filter to guide the oil into my bucket. I normally don't spill any oil.

I did the same thing, I made a V-shaped channel out of aluminum that has a lip that grabs the filter fitting.  As I unscrew the filter, the oil dribbles down the channel and into my waiting bucket.  I screw the new filter on before removing the channel.  If I'm really good it's zero drips, but there is usually a stray drop or two.

My oil drain channel is made from aluminum. Go to Ace Aviation or Home Depot and get at least a 10” long piece of thin aluminum. Once home get a soup can and bend the aluminum into a half round channel. Then on one end bend the edge up about 1/4”  - 3/8” lip. This will fit up under the edge of the floater housing that will hold it in place while draining the oil. Then just take a pair of cutters or a saw and trim the lower section of your channel to fit down under the oil cooler hose. I’ve had mine since 2007. It is the perfect shape and never wears out.