CTSW Centre Panel .dxf file wanted

gorilla

I have a UK version CTSW which has the 2 main instrument panels and the lower centre panel (made out of some kind of shiny aluminium) containing the breakers, switches, flap controls, etc.  I want to redesign my centre panel and intend to get it routed out of 2mm pre-preg carbon fibre in order to match up with my two main panels.  The pictures below show my current panel which someone gave me and the black panel is the original that I removed years ago!

Does anyone have a CAD drawing of the centre panel that they can send my way, please?  A .dxf file would be great but any other format is welcome!  I'm not fussy if the positions/sizes of the switches don't match up with my layout as I intend to redesign things but having the main outline and shape digitally would be a good start.  Many thanks.

Paul

Centre Placards 1.jpg

Instrument Centre Panel.jpg

Edited by gorilla
Added picture description

I got files from FD by email. I don’t have that panel though. I will warn you that the files I received had some items that were off. The pilot side did not have the Dynon cut out level so my Atitude did not indicate correctly. The upper center panel was 1/4” too tall. 

if you get files do yourself a favor and have cardboard sample cut to ensure fit and alignment before you commit to final material. 

Yes. The laser etching portion is on a different layer than the panel dimensions.  I had the 6061T6 sheet anodized flat black on both sides, then laser etched to bare metal.  This way, I hope, I can wipe it without starting corrosion or removing the color.  Anodizing should last much longer than paint or powder coating. Should...

Despite working with Arian at FDUSA on the dimensions, it was still a little off on the upper left and upper middle panels, as manufactured.  A little ovalizing of holes and they fit, so not far off.  The lower center I sent you was perfect with no fitting necessary.

Hi Glenn,

I opened up your .dxf file but was surprised to notice that it isn't quite the same as my centre panel - notwithstanding the slight misalignment of the holes which you mentioned..

I was wondering why my centre panel has the switches not parallel with the top of the panel (see the photo showing black panel on white background) and why the distance from the top edge of the panel to the bottom edge is slightly different on the left-hand side compared with the right-hand side.  This is unlike your panel which shows everything parallel, square & symmetrical. .

The Eureka moment was when I realised that the centre panel for a 'mushroom' binnacle with only 2 main panels (i.e. a UK version CTSW) is slightly different than the lower centre panel for a 3 main panel binnacle like you have in the States on SW's and LS's.

Because the right-hand side of a 2 main panel binnacle is angled towards the pilot, this affects the positioning of the low centre switch panel.  You can see from my colour photo that although the switches/breakers are parallel with the top of the 'tunnel', the top edge of the panel is not.

So now I'm back to square 1 and am trying to obtain a .dxf file for a UK version CTSW centre panel!!

I'm not a CAD expert but does anyone know if I can take my existing panel to a CAD expert who may have the machinery/software/skill to transfer the real object into a digital CAD file?  Can this be done?  Thanks.

Paul

I am sorry it did not work for you.  I did not realize the difference, either.  

If you are lucky, you get get someone with a blue/white light or laser scanner and create a CAD file from the point cloud.  However,  the @Madhatter's suggestion of manually making one might be easier if you don't have any rapid prototyping places near you.

Paul,

Take your center panel out and scan it on a computuer printer which is 8.5" x 11.0' capable.

The scanned image can be imported into a CAD program like Solidworks and a .dxf file with corrections and improvemts can be created.

Print out a paper test panel and check fit at your aircaft before fabricating the final panel.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks very much.  Please see attached the panel with a front and reverse view.  Don't worry if it proves a bit difficult!  The only reference datum is the bottom edge; all the switch and oblong holes are parallel or perpendicular to that edge.

I think only one side is at 90 degrees to this bottom edge; the other one is slightly obtuse and the top edge is at its own weird angle too!

Instrument Centre Panel - Reverse.pdfInstrument Centre Panel - Front.pdf

Hi Dave, 

the outline shape must be identical to the scanned images…. unfortunately! The two sides are not quite parallel with each other by a couple of degrees. As I said, the reference datum line seems to be the bottom edge as all the oblong switch holes are exactly square with that edge. 

when I put a 90 degree set square against the bottom edge, I think it was the left side that was square to it but the right hand side was just a fraction larger than 90 degrees. 

Unfortunately, whereas you guys in the States seem to have had good service from FDUSA when you asked for the panel .dxf files, FDEUROPE doesn’t seem so willing. I believe our UK agent has asked but didn’t get a reply. 

I appreciate your help. Thanks. 

Paul

• 7 months later...

Hi Cedricvh,

If you send me a PM, I will send you the three dxf files for the UK version of the CTSW binnacle which I believe is exactly the same as your CT2K.  In the UK, CTSW's only have a left, right and lower centre panel.

My panel dxf files have been made specifically for my instrument fit but you can always edit them to suit and just keep the outline shape - which was the hardest thing to get right!

• 5 months later...

Hi Guys,

I have been asked by a few members for my .dxf files for the CTSW instrument panels (UK Version) so I am attaching them here.

My panel dxf files have been made specifically for my instrument fit but you can always edit them to suit and just keep the outline shapes - which were the hardest things to get right!

Cheers,

Paul

Left Hand Panel.pdf Right Hand Panel.dxf Right Hand Panel.pdf Centre Panel.pdf Centre Panel.dxf Left Hand Main Panel.DXF

Thanks Mike & Glen!

Yes, I am very pleased I chose Kanardia for my new instrument fit.  The UK Kanardia agent wasn't quite as knowledgable as I would have liked and I ended up contacting Kanardia directly and I must have sent them 20+ emails asking for help and advice on set-up/operation.  Their instruction manuals were excellent is just that my old brain isn't!  They couldn't have been more helpful and I can't praise their excellent customer service enough. 

For example, I found that there was a small discrepancy between the Kohls scale reading on the HORIS instrument compared to the scale on the stand-alone altimeter.  When both hectopascal readings were set the same at take-off, they were different upon landing again instead of being identical to each other.  Kanardia asked me to send both instruments back whereupon they put them both in their barometric test chamber for re-calibration.  It turned out that there was nothing wrong with either instrument; I had messed with some of the advanced HORIS set-up settings and caused the problem inadvertently myself.  Kanardia paid for the postage both ways, did it all as a warranty issue and returned the instruments to me within a week.  Both instruments are now perfectly in sync with each other!

By the way, the screen shot is me rounding the North Cape at the top of Norway on a fantastic trip last July (together with another CTSW) where we flew from UK across to the Netherlands, Germany, Poland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Germany and back to the UK via the North Sea again.

Paul