High oil pressure alarm

Bill3558

Out of the blue I started getting intermittent high oil pressure alarms.  Pressure would be in the green and suddenly redline, and then fall back to normal. I suspect an electrical gremlin. Is there anything that for real would cause oil pressure to spike like that? 
Appreciate any thoughts. 

4 hours ago, BugBuster (BB) said:

Not sure about Flight Design CTs, but over the interim of CT ownerships ended up moving sensors off the 912 engines of RV12 and Rans S-19 ELSA’s for more stable indications. 

Moving them to a remote location helps with the life of the sensor, but they still fail.

Yes, I just replaced one yesterday. Unscrew the nut for the wire, and then unscrew the sending unit. A little oil will come out. I normally just throw a plug in the hole for a little bit, it is 1/8" pipe thread. If the sender you remove has the brass ring around it, that was for vibration dampening. I have pressed off the ring and moved them to the new sender before, but it is not necessary. The threads are supposed to have some sealer, but the unit grounds though the threads, so go sparingly. I normally do not use any other than what was on the engine already. The tapered threads are designed to seal without it. Don't over tighten , as you can crack the oil pump housing because of the tapered threads. One last note is my wrench has been ground on specifically for changing the sending units. Keep that in mind incase you need to do the same thing.

On 8/21/2021 at 1:06 PM, Tom Baker said:

Moving them to a remote location helps with the life of the sensor, but they still fail.

I can also attest to if someone doesn’t pay attention to routing when they move the sensor your exhaust can burn a hole into your oil line….

I just changed a remote oil pressure line. I am not a fan of the barbed fitting, rubber hose, and a hose clamp on a line that has as much as 80PSI. Leading Edge Air Foils sells a kit, but their hose doesn't work for our application. I used their fittings and a straight 28" stainless steel braided Teflon hose. 

If you use the electronic sender instead of the VDO sender, that can mount directly to the engine and is substantially less prone to malfunction, but I still recommend a remote install because heat is a solid state's worst enemy.

Just note you have to review the Dynon installation manual for the extra 200(?) ohm resistor you have to bridge to ground on one of the wires for it to work properly. I've been running that mod for 8 years and probably 2500 hours, and not a single issue.