Audible alerts

Towner

I've been spending all my time flying since I bought her in December, but now it's time to do a little troubleshooting. 

I have the d100/120 set up with a 496 (no xm subscription) and a gnc 250xl gps/com. In the airplane, I receive no audible alerts of any kind. I have gone into the programs for the d100 and the 496 to make sure they are on, but I still don't get anything. I should mention that where the auxiliary input on the panel is supposed to be, there is just an empty hole. I'm wondering if someone disconnected all audio from the intercom, but haven't looked into it yet. Any suggestions before I get started? 

While I'm here...the 496 is really to small for me to see. Even though I use Foreflight, I would really like a panel mount map that I can use. I wanted to replace  the 496 with an aera 760, but due to the gnc 250 being larger than the standard 30/40 com set up, the 760 can not be made to fit. Is the aera 660 a big enough improvement in screen size to bother replacing the 496 with the 660? I have seen a 660, but not a mounted one, or even directly next to the 496, and it's hard for me to judge the visual improvement. 

If I decide to get a 660, can an A&P install since it is a portable, or does it still have to be done by an avionics shop?

Of course I would love to upgrade the d100 to a Skyview system, but that's more than I want to spend.

I have plans to convert to esla in the future to make things easier, but I'm gonna wait to see what the light sport changes might be. While I doubt it will happen, and I love the ctsw, I really need 4 seats.

As always, thanks in advance for the suggestions! 

Originally I had a 396. About 3 years ago I wanted ADS-B out and in.

So, I had an avionics shop do the work. The 396 was replaced with  an Area 660 and the transponder was replaced with a Garmin GTX-345 with in/out capability.

The reason I went with the 660 is that the dock fit exactly in the cutout left when the 396 dock was removed.

The 660 screen is a lot larger than the 396 screen but often I wish I had gone with a 796. Although the 660 works for me, these old eyes would have appreciated a larger screen.

I have a switch on the lower panel labeled “XM Music”.  Its actual function is to allow any audio produced by the GPS unit, including alerts for terrain, obstacles, airspace, etc to reach your ears.  Not just music.  That might not be the problem for you, but if it is, you’re in luck. 

Thanks for the input on the 660. I think it may be to small for my old eyes too. I may have to look at different options, but the 760 won't fit.

I don't have any external switches of the "XM music" type. I may take a quick look behind the panel, but radio wiring is not a strong point for me. May be time for an avionics shop, but I was hoping to avoid that.