Brake Pads

Bill3558

The Marc Engegno pads can be worn down to 1 mm (about the thickness of a dime is a good gauge). That's pretty thin because they are glued on and not riveted. Those pads are expensive compared to most brake pads. There is a post here on the forum if you search for the pads at about $130- $140. Matco pads are about $46.

The one thing I noticed in your picture is the disc pins have two washers. I have only seen these with a single washer.

5 hours ago, Bill3558 said:

FDUSA quoted me $170 for a set of brake pads for my 2008 CTLS.

Is that reasonable?

67BC0BB8-7649-47E3-9825-B8C1D053B2CE.jpeg

I replaced my pads with Goldfren 905 pads from this link a couple months ago. Fit perfectly and cost 45.00 / pair.

https://www.1motoshop.com/products/goldfren-aircraft-brake-pads-905ad?_pos=1&_sid=473db5675&_ss=r

1) The Marc brakes on my Sky Arrow have a single very thin lock washer on each rotor pin.

2) Regular cleaning and light lubing of the rotor pins with disc brake lubricant helps both with free movement of the rotors on the pins and avoiding corrosion.

3) Thanks for the alternative source for the pads. I’ve yet to have to buy any. My originals went about 500 hours and still had a bit of life left. Still, I went ahead and replaced them with some given to me by a forum member and they’re wearing well.  Thanks again, Andy!

• 2 weeks later...

Corey,

I doubt that you would change to Nord-locks if you realized how expensive they are.

Aircraft Spruce sells a single 5/16" Nord-Lock washer, including the top and bottom pieces, for 70 cents. That is not a very big washer. By way of comparison, they sell AN washers that size for 5 cents each.

Contrary to your video, I've found that split washers and star washers work pretty darn good even in automotive applications which accrue a lot more vibration cycles than our little airplanes.

Star washers are pretty good too.

As for vibrations, the frequency and amplitude matter. But that is for debate by mind's much greater than mine. I know that split washers are not allowed in some sensitive industries because of research done like in my video showing that they actually compromise the joint.