Need Help on Battery

Isham

I purchased a PC310 based on everything I was reading here.  Bad idea.  It is way too small for my CTSW.  The bad battery in my plane is an Autocraft LFP-7 which is 6.89" long, 3.43" wide and 6.38" tall.  Can anyone tell me which battery I need?  I would like to go with Odyssey but they seem to be a little larger than my current battery.  What is the correct one for this 2007 CTSW?  I'm grounded until I get a new battery.  Thanks.

No MRA that I have seen.  The Autocraft LFP-7 is no longer available (not sure what battery came with the airplane from the factory). 

I found out that the Odyssey PC545 is the identical size as the old Autocraft (6.9" long, 3.2" wide and 5.08" tall).  I think I will go that way.  Everything I have read about the Odyssey batteries is very good.  Plus, I ordered an Odyssey charger with the PC310 battery just to make sure I had the correct charger.  My Lithium Ion charger wouldn't work with the Odyssey.

I could fit the PC310 in the battery tray but there would be about 2" of extra room on one end.  Also, the PC310 has M4 screws and my airplane has terminals for M6 screws.  The PC545 has M6 screws so it should be a plug and play.

What would you do?

Thanks, Brad

The battery terminals have always had a larger hole that what was needed for the PC310. I suspect the was the smallest terminal for that size wire. Look to see if there are any extra holes in the firewall around where the battery mounts as a clue to see if it has been changed in the field. You could also check your paperwork, specifically the equipment list and see what battery came with it new. It is possible that they started offering a larger battery option earlier than I thought. Technically if you are putting a different battery in that it came with you should have an approval. The PC310 is not the OEM battery, but there is a fleet wide approval for the battery. The PC545 is a good battery. I recently installed one in a Tecnam.

You could call flight design USA and ask them about this issue. I know of one CT here that has a HUGE battery on the firewall. If they have a supersceded part number for that, no MRA is required.

Your aircraft's AFM will have an equipment list in it. It should list the battery model that shipped with the aircraft from the factory.

The Hawker SBS8 was the original battery. It is European mfg. Way back FD was going to have some sent over, but they didn’t know Odyssey batteries were the same company just US made. I got them to switch to the PC310 since it is the US version of the Hawker.. That’s when the MRA came out.

After discussion with Arian and with EarthX I came up with a plan.  It turns out that I cannot find any documentation for the installation of the current battery.  I am going to install the EarthX BB-MU2 light weigh battery box which will work with either the EarthX EXT680 or the Odyssey PC680.  Taking longer than I wanted but will end up with a legal fix.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Just an update.  EarthX gave me some bad data.  FD will not approve the EXT680, only the EXT680C.  I ordered the EXT680C battery and the BB-CO battery box from EarthX. 

I wanted to install the thermal improved battery box but FD will not approve that, only the BB-CO. 

I do want to improve the thermal protection so I will see if I can apply the stainless steel tape to help protect it (Manuf Approval #081107).  Anyone have experience or recommendations with this tape and where to get it?

Okay.  New Battery is installed.  I need some help catching up the paperwork.

Does anyone happen to have the weight for the original battery box on the CTSW?

Here is my dilemma.  I removed the homemade battery box that was installed sometime in the past.  It weighed 1# 2.9 oz.  For the paperwork I need to calculate removal of the OEM battery box and battery then add in the new box and battery.  I don't think the original CTSW battery box would have weighed that much. 

I appreciate any info you may have on the weight.

As a side note, a previous starting issue resolved with the new install.  Started on second crank.

New Batt Box and Battery.JPG

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, aerolithium said:

Any questions on lithium battery fitment or sizing, please contact me, I would be glad to assist and possible make a special battery to your requirements.

I will join this forum as a source of info for lithium batteries.

thanks

Andy

Aerolithium.com

Note that those of us with S-LSA aircraft have quite an obstacle to get over in order to use anything but Earth-X.

If you want to be able to sell to Flight Design customers who are not in the experimental certification category, you will need to try and get a working relationship going with flight design.