Experimental versus S-LSA Insurance Cost

Isham

51 minutes ago, FlyingMonkey said:

The grass home base is what's hurting you there for sure.

Renewing this year, I noticed they still had Copperhill, TN (paved) as my home base. I advised them of the plane’s move to Big T Airport in Lenoir City, TN (grass). They did not advise me of any change in my quoted renewal. As usual I’ll be holding my breath next year.

On 9/4/2021 at 4:37 AM, Warmi said:

Is landing CT planes that much more difficult than other LSAs like RV 12 to warrant this claim ?  I would think this comparison to C172 would hold for all LSAs …

I have given several Flight Reviews over the past 10 years to a neighbor who owned an RV-12. This was a once every 2 years exposure so my experience is limited. But, I will say  the control harmony on the RV-12 surpassed that of my CTSW. In the vernacular of the RV crowd, it "flys like an RV". Landings were none events.

We sometimes went together as a flight of two with similar weights. His plane could out climb and out run mine. In cruise I had to carry more rpm to stay even.

My CTSW is not the fastest CTSW, nor is it the slowest. In 2008 I flew off Roger Hellers wing from my home base to Orland, CA. This was several years before he passed from a massive heart attack as he was doing his run up for take off, with a non pilot passenger! His CTSW was a 2007 like mine and our planes had very similar performance. Purpose of the trip was to meet up with Roger Lee who would install Matco wheels/brakes on Hellers plane. While there, we were hosted by Tony and Rose who owned a 2006(?) CTSW. Tony was active on this forum at one time but haven't seen him post for awhile. Tony was interesting to talk to. He flew Wild Weasel in the F-105 while in Vietnam. 

Anyway, next day on departure, Heller and I did a formation take off. Tony took off behind us and passed us without breaking a sweat. Definitely a faster plane.