Mounting a video camera outside a CTSW

Ken

I am looking for suggestions on types of cameras that can be mounted on the wing of a CTSW. Also, what is the preferred method of mounting? Can these cameras be rotated and switched on and off from the cockpit while flying. 

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ken 

N296CT

I have a 15 foot telescoping microphone boom, I have a power pack stored in one of the inspection holes on the wing w/double sided tape and a hole drilled in the plexiglass that runs a power cable to the camera so that I can keep my 360 camera on for over an hour. If you check out the end of the below video you'll see some good shots!

Great shots. Is this the Insta 360 X2 camera? Do you have any pictures of the install of the battery pack and how you use the boom? I think I understand the battery and inspection plate but not sure how to boom works in conjunction with the battery.

thanks,

Ken 

I use a GoPro on their suction mount under the wing, next to the tie down ring.  I used a step bit to drill a hole in my clear inspection cover on that side.  I put a piece of adhesive velcro inside the wing and I can mount a large battery pack there.  I feed the USB cable through the hole in the inspection cover to the GoPro, and it has enough batter for over 8 hours of footage, controlled by my iPad in the cockpit.

When I'm not using the camera, I put a small square of Bolus tape over the hole in the inspection cover.  This setup works like a charm.  The below video was taken with a GoPro 3...I'm not using a GoPro 7 and it's much better quality.

https://youtu.be/CtVgFmHIIGM

On 9/22/2021 at 8:54 AM, FlyingMonkey said:

I have to ask, what am I missing?  When others post videos I see the video embedded in the post.  When I post them I only see the link to the video.  I have tried several ways of inserting the video and none seem to work.  What trick am I missing??

Anybody?  Bueller?  Bueller?

• 1 year later...
On 9/21/2021 at 3:27 PM, Animosity2k said:

I have a 15 foot telescoping microphone boom, I have a power pack stored in one of the inspection holes on the wing w/double sided tape and a hole drilled in the plexiglass that runs a power cable to the camera so that I can keep my 360 camera on for over an hour. If you check out the end of the below video you'll see some good shots!

These are great shots! How did you attach the pole to the wing?