What's wrong with my carbs? Had to deadstick

Ed Cesnalis

An LSRM did condition inspections at our field recently.  3 got signed off and I got a bad deal.  He charged me money but left without completing. He did mess with my throttle linkage.

On my test flight I realize complete power loss when I throttle back from climbout.  RPM goes from 5,200 to 5,100 then no power.  Power comes back at full throttle.  It's not trying to shake apart like one carb is full open and other closed.

Have to calm down and go look 

Both balance tubes were off.  Mechanic told me he didn't need to balance carbs because Jeremy McGregor did it last time and they would still be good.  He weighed floats, adjusted linkage and left the balance tubes un-connected.

I was full power or no power and approach / landing was problematic

I've seen several incidents like this. Take the time and  money and go to school. When you can do your own you are better off. On my airport in SC one guy had someone come from Ohio to do his condition inspection because the only one in the state left his prop bolts untorqued at the last inspection. Pretty sad situation for LSA maintenance. 

On 10/2/2021 at 1:36 PM, Madhatter said:

I've seen several incidents like this. Take the time and  money and go to school. When you can do your own you are better off. On my airport in SC one guy had someone come from Ohio to do his condition inspection because the only one in the state left his prop bolts untorqued at the last inspection. Pretty sad situation for LSA maintenance. 

Care to shoot me a private message with what place in Ohio you are speaking of? I do my service here in Cleveland and want to make sure I'm hopefully not being shortcut at all.