Flat on landing today, Scooter tug saved the day

Ed Cesnalis

Glad yours worked out OK.

I've had five flats in my airplanes. I had taxi flats in my Aerotrek A240 and CTLSi, and my only landing flat was in my C-172L. The landing flat was a mesquite thorn, and the others seemed to be tube failures for whatever reason. 

I had to get a tow back to the hangar the other day, halfway across the airport, when I had a fuel leak.  I was able to get the flight school to use their tug to help.  My airplane doesn't have the welded-on lugs for a tow bar as some do.  I wrapped a tow strap around the nose gear strut, attached it to the tug, and sat in the airplane to brake and steer while the tug towed me in.  Worked great.  I'm going to start keeping a tow strap in the airplane. 

I have also had a flat on a taxiway at my home airport.  I man-handled the CT into the grass beside the taxiway and changed the tire there.  That was not a fun day.  I'm glad to hear your improvised wheel cradle worked.  I need to think up something to do that job, a flat a huge PITA.