Bad intermittent static in my Garmin radio

KirkR

I have a 2014 CTLSi with a Garmin radio (Model type is not shown on the panel - See photo). I'm getting a very loud intermittent static (growl) through my headset. It cycles 1-2 seconds on (growl) 1-2 seconds off. It only happens when I'm flying and it is so bad I cannot hear ATC during the growl. It stops when I pull the headset mike plug out. This forces me to listen to ATC with the mike plug out, then push it in to talk to ATC, then pull it back out to hear their response.

It happens when I only have one (Bose) headset plug into the panel jacks, as well as when there are two headsets plugged into the intercom jacks in the rear bulkhead. Both headsets hear it. Squelch settings don't help. And, it goes away when I turn off the Garmin or turn down the volume on the Garmin panel. My avionics guy is stumped because he can't hear it unless we're in the air, and he wouldn't be able to troubleshoot while airborne. 

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Thank you for any help.

Kirk Rogers

N4123P

View recent photos.png