Looking for a nice CTLS

AES256

• 2 weeks later...

2009 should equal a LS, but yeah - LS for 50-70k is a unicorn in today's market, and SW's are on the upswing, I'd say SW sellers asking average of 65 - 75k range depending on hours / equipment / condition.  A SW just listed on barnstormers for 50k and sold in less than one day, someone scored (assuming plane checks out... 

I've watched the CT market heavily over the past three years, my shopping habit continued after buying a CT two years ago.  Like most all of the aviation market - there has been tremendous price growth across the fleet these last couple of years.

And keep in mind time before hose change and chute repack / rocket replacement.  A timed out bird could need $10k of work.

I agree with your assessment.  I think with the rising inflation and the economy that people buying now at a premium will sustain a loss on value on their aircraft.  Like real estate, this balloon will pop. The abundance of people with time to take their PPL has assisted in creating this balloon. Aka Covid.  VREF has not been kind for valuation of the the carbon fiber aircrafts.  The CTLS depreciates yearly unlike some of the metal counterparts.  I’m a savvy shopper and not stuck on one particular type of aircraft. Good deals are to be found, they are just usually not advertised.  

Our local sheriff's department sold a 2014 LS with all the high tech camera and lighting equipment. It had about 1400 hours. It sold on a government auction for the minimum bid of $100k. I think we all missed out on this one because I was told the camera equipment could be removed and sold for $300-400k!

15 minutes ago, Towner said:

Our local sheriff's department sold a 2014 LS with all the high tech camera and lighting equipment. It had about 1400 hours. It sold on a government auction for the minimum bid of $100k. I think we all missed out on this one because I was told the camera equipment could be removed and sold for $300-400k!

Towner, you are making me sick.  Lol.  I guess we did miss out. I am constantly buying and cannibalizing parts for resale. 

55 minutes ago, AES256 said:

people buying now at a premium will sustain a loss on value on their aircraft

Perhaps, but I hold the view that as avgas price climbs, and legacy GA fleet ages (AD's / etc), and possibly age / medical issues amongst pilots, the LSA market (newer airplanes & fuel efficient) will hold stronger than many other models.

Then, look at the price point of the new F2, add tax and you're looking at a quarter million.  There are only ~ 300 total CT's all models in USA, loosing 1% - 2% of fleet per year in mishaps, (I can recall 4 totaled within probably the past 9 months shared here on forum)

I think there are serious bubbles in many areas of economy today, but don't think CT's will be one of them.  And if I'm wrong, we'll that's fine too - I'd consider a newer LS as upgrade.

1 hour ago, AES256 said:

….  VREF has not been kind for valuation of the the carbon fiber aircrafts.  The CTLS depreciates yearly unlike some of the metal counterparts.  I’m a savvy shopper and not stuck on one particular type of aircraft. Good deals are to be found, they are just usually not advertised.  

I gather all these carbon fiber Cirrus planes should be getting real cheap real soon … perhaps you will be able to get 2 for a price of one metal C182 from early 70s..

Just now, okent said:

It's only a loss if you sell it when prices are low.

I look at my airplane as a consumable and not as an investment.

Same as my car and truck.

That is the best way to look at it.  As such a high dollar item, it's hard to not hope it maintains or appreciates though. Crazy world and crazy time.

Blue skies!!

The moment you pay a bill, it's a sunk cost; there is nothing you can do about it now.

What you paid should have no bearing on what you do in the future; this is really hard to internalize for some reason.

If you go looking for an airplane, and it fits your mission, and the cost doesn't bother you, then just buy it. You've already accepted the financial responsibility, enjoy it and what you get back later, worry about that some other time.

I'm sure this makes the hair on some finance people's necks here stand on end, but it should have been standing on end already when someone says they want to buy a 100,000 toy that can easily kill you 😛

• 3 months later...