Tundra gear

Bill3558

I’m looking to replace the airplane I just crashed. I would prefer Tundra landing gear on my new plane. Is there a kit to upgrade to Tundra gear if I buy a plane with standard gear? Or should I just look for a plane already set up with Tundra gear. 
I was willing to fly commercial to see the airplane. Owner said we couldn’t fly it. Deal breaker for me. 

It can be done, but it's expensive.  You need a new front wheel fork (~$1900), new wheel pants (~$800 each x 3) and probably some other things I'm forgetting.  It's easier to find an airplane with tundra gear if that's what you want.  BTW, I have non-tundra gear on my CTSW, and fly about 70% on grass, including some rough-ish strips.  IMO you don't really need the bigger tires for anything that you ought to be doing with a CT.  And the smaller tires are WAY easier to mount than the larger ones.

The landing gear is the 'same', it's a larger tire and wheel pant.  The front fork is different for the taller tire, but otherwise it's really only tire size.  (my data points are SW, double check on LS)

You can purchase the larger tires & tubes, and the front fork, probably will be into it for $2k as a rough number, but could sell the old tires and maybe the pants in time to offset some costs.

Curious, why do you prefer Tundra?  They were on my want list when shopping too, bought a normal size tire airplane, and have not really seen the need for the big wheels.

Buy the plane that is the right one, regardless of what tire size is on it. 

And weird the owner wouldn't allow a flight, he must not be motivated to sell, that would be deal breaker for me too.

24 minutes ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

And weird the owner wouldn't allow a flight, he must not be motivated to sell, that would be deal breaker for me too.

That is weird.  I can understand not letting you land it, but to not even allow a dual flight with the owner as PIC?  Strange.  Maybe the owner is selling because he's afraid of the airplane...the CT is not the easiest to fly and land.

2 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

It can be done, but it's expensive.  You need a new front wheel fork (~$1900), new wheel pants (~$800 each x 3) and probably some other things I'm forgetting.  It's easier to find an airplane with tundra gear if that's what you want.  BTW, I have non-tundra gear on my CTSW, and fly about 70% on grass, including some rough-ish strips.  IMO you don't really need the bigger tires for anything that you ought to be doing with a CT.  And the smaller tires are WAY easier to mount than the larger ones.

Not as bad for a CTLS. New tires, tubes, and new main gear pants. The nose gear doesn't change.

When I bought my SW from Airtime it had tundra gear with the Italian wheels. It also had the wheel pants for the small wheels, they actually fit but had a few minor rubs inside. I confirmed that these were original pants for the small wheels with FD. I ended up putting the correct pants on. I had been flying the CT for a few years with the small wheel pants.

1 hour ago, Madhatter said:

When I bought my SW from Airtime it had tundra gear with the Italian wheels. It also had the wheel pants for the small wheels, they actually fit but had a few minor rubs inside. I confirmed that these were original pants for the small wheels with FD. I ended up putting the correct pants on. I had been flying the CT for a few years with the small wheel pants.

Interesting.  Did you notice any speed change when you went to the bigger pants?

Reason I’d prefer Tundra is that extra margin of safety if I hit a hole. I flew my old plane on grass, but it was jarring and unpleasant on a rough field. 
Plus I think the airplane just looks better with the bigger wheels. 
Thank you for the info Gents.