LIST OF MAINTENANCE FACILITIES

MileHighCTLS

With every plane I've owned, the manufacturer maintains a list of approved, or at the very least "friendly" repair and maintenance facilities who are familiar with he brand. Is there such a list for CTLS aircraft? I've been lucky to have no major problems and I have been able to handle all maintenance with the help of an AP friend. But even he said a shop familiar with the aircraft would be useful to have in the event I need some heavy maintenance or technical assistance unique to CTLS. Of course, I would settle for separate lists of Rotax shops and CTLS shops. Any ideas?

For the rotax engine, as long as your friend is willing to sit down and REALLY STUDY the Rotax manual and watch a few of the videos, and do what they recommend, that will cover almost everything. He can send in components like the gearbox for major work, he's just got to get it off the airplane and have the tools for reinstalling and checking. Rotax manuals are extremely detailed and fantastic, and even spell out the needed tools for the steps.

Flight design on the other hand, leaves a lot to be desired in their manuals. They're difficult to read with those awful part numbers and mistranslated terms, and in a couple cases, just plain wrong because the information is outdated. It's a simple airplane though, and it is possible to learn a lot just by opening the panels and really looking at what moves and what doesn't.

The exception is the electrical systems. Be it rotax or flight design, those electrical systems absolutely SUCK to troubleshoot. Be ready with a voltmeter!

There are many sources to get answers and help, including here!

So, I started this thread and did a bunch of research since. This is something I have not yet seen posted here about CTLS and Rotax ... so here goes ...

Basically owners on on their own to maintain their CTLS planes and Rotax engines. Oh yes, we all say ... get an AP to help out. Yes, that's a good idea IF YOU CAN FIND ONE. Most shops will not touch light sports (CTLS included), and they will not touch Rotax engines. Why? They'll site insurance, liability, factory support, etc. Bottom line: You better like doing your own maintenance and begging APs for sign-offs if you buy one.

BTW, I have had no difficulties so far. But as our planes get older, this must be addressed.

The reason you can't find GOOD A&Ps is because every decent shop is overloaded with work. I have been connected with a large repair station for a long time and they can't find qualified mechanics even with good pay and benefits (including free use of 2 Cessna 182's). Insurance and liability has nothing to do with it. When you have to turn away customers with King Air's and Citations you are not going to work on a Rotax. Many A&Ps ( shade tree types) that have time you don't want working on your lawn mower (I know a lot of them)

Go to the 3 week course to get your LSRM-A. That is available from Rainbow and others. That, and a couple of Rotax courses and you can take care of your plane. You will need to know your limitations and ask for help when needed. 

I did Rainbow (with Roger) in 2008. So far, I have done all the work on my CTSW. The course was 4K at the time but I have saved many times that. 

Or, go experimental and only the 2 day course is required.

If you are not mechanically inclined you might not want to work on your plane.

11 hours ago, Madhatter said:

Some A&P's are not mechanically inclined. I knew one that was an IA that could not time a mag to the engine. How does that happen.

When you are supervising in an executive capacity for decades, that's how. Seen the results personally. Guy went straight to management, got his IA and maintained it, technically fulfilled requirements, lost a lot of actual maintenance skill.

I am only aware of two places that offer the 3 week Light Sport Aircraft Repairman course. The above named Rainbow and one at Blue Ridge Community College in Weyers Cave, Virginia. If you decide you want to go this route you should check them both out and decide which is best for you. Here is a link:

Light Sport Aircraft Pilot Mechanic <Blue Ridge Community College (brcc.edu)

And Rainbow:

Rainbow Aviation – The Light Sport Professionals

20 hours ago, Madhatter said:

The reason you can't find GOOD A&Ps is because every decent shop is overloaded with work. I have been connected with a large repair station for a long time and they can't find qualified mechanics even with good pay and benefits (including free use of 2 Cessna 182's). Insurance and liability has nothing to do with it. When you have to turn away customers with King Air's and Citations you are not going to work on a Rotax. Many A&Ps ( shade tree types) that have time you don't want working on your lawn mower (I know a lot of them)

Also in regards to this: it's a multi-faceted issue. For one, for the past 2 or 3 decades, technical jobs with manual labor are viewed as bottom barrel jobs, and that they're only for "hillbillies" and "dumb people". The perception that it's a bottom barrel job encourages people to bring out the absolute worst side of people and look down their nose at mechanics, even by their own bosses. Even children notice this stuff! So, it kills any aspirations that people might have. That poor perception and poor treatment is probably the biggest harm for long term growth of the applicant pool.

Even despite despite the fat stacks of cash, unparalleled union benefits, retirement options, etc... the trades (electricians, pipe fitters, carpenters, etc) have had a labor shortage for years.

Secondly, people don't like to wake up in the morning and go "Oh boy! It's time to go to work and be exposed to questionable chemicals, burned by engine oil, deal with a shitty boss, be the floor mat for customers, and have a used up body by the time I'm 45!"

It's just not a glamorous industry. I would even say that sometimes I want to hang up the wrench. The airplanes I have no issue with. They don't complain.

Customers do, even when clearly it's their fault. And sometimes you get stiffed. Makes you feel like you're less than garbage even when it's 100% on them.

3 hours ago, Anticept said:

When you are supervising in an executive capacity for decades, that's how. Seen the results personally. Guy went straight to management, got his IA and maintained it, technically fulfilled requirements, lost a lot of actual maintenance skill.

That's exactly what happened.