Bendix/King Skymap IIIc - Internal Battery

westcoastoz

For those of you out there still using the Bendix/King Skymap IIIc, I have just experienced the "low battery" warning and "blue screen" having not made a note to replace the internal battery in a timely manner. (Once this battery gets low, there is no way the unit will work even though it has 12V power supplied from the airplane battery)

As you may know, there is an internal 3.6V AA size Lithium battery which is soldered to the board and needs to be changed about every 4 years. (mine lasted 5). It is not easy to access and some care needs to be taken if you want to do the job yourself as I understand it is easy to damage the unit.

Also when this battery dies, you lose all your stored flight plans and user waypoints and the only way to save them is to download the data onto a PC via the RS232 at the rear of the Skymap IIIc prior to changing the battery. Problem is, I don't have a data cable (which is an optional extra) so is there anyone out there that knows where I can buy one at a reasonable price? The part number is SMP514.

Thanks,

Dave

No need to download.

If you solder the new battery in parallel across the existing battery ( observing rhe same polarity )and then immediately snip out the old one, the Bendix doesn't even know there's been a loss of power. Did mine last year and no loss of memory.

Thanks for the tip Mac. I will give it a try but I think I let the internal battery get too low before getting around to replacing it but will see what happens when the new battery arrives this week, but it would be nice to have a data cable so as to upload flight plans, user waypoints etc to the Skymap.

Cheers,

Dave

I installed a new internal battery in my Skymap IIIc today without too much difficulty. The existing battery had gone down to 0.12V so was unable to save the volatile memory.

So as to be absolutely sure I didn't 'zap' anything, I bought an anti-static wristband and antistatic mat. The only tools you need is a 5/64 hexhead to remove the screws and a 1/4" AF socket to release the aerial co-ax plug. A good quality temperature controlled soldering iron also makes life a lot easier.

For anyone contemplating doing the job themselves, there is some helpful information here:- http://www.fixya.com/support/t2151860-need_change_memory_battery_in_skymap and here http://www.piperowner.org/forums/topic.html?id=90183

Archived