Service Bulletin Trim Tab Reinforcement

Has anybody had experience with fixing the trim tab with service bulletin  SB-ASTM-CTSW-07

DATE 30-Nov-2009

The CTSW that I purchased recently has a serial number involved with that and the work was never done. I'm just curious if anybody remembers what they did when they fix theirs?

I don't really notice much of a vibration.

Thanks

Odonata

Thanks for your reply. Did you get parts from Flight Design and did you have to remove the whole stabilator from the plane?

I have my A&P working on it trying to figure out what to do with Flight Design.

The instructions on what to do are not very clear.

My CT only has about 240 hours. And was always in a hangar and very new condition.

If you want I can look back and see how many hours it took. Don't be afraid of removing the stabilator, as that is only a 20 minute job. Four nuts and two bolts. Drilling the stainless rivets is not fun. The repair was not that hard if you are familiar with composites. There are a couple places down there in Florida that can do the composite stuff if your mechanic is not comfortable with it.

I also had my stab reinforcement done.  This was done at me local shop which obtained repair authorizion from FD.  I made a bench fixture to hold the stab with offsetting balance arm and weight attached.  Also, a "tool" to press the spring to release the stab rod.  Pictures attached.

stab bal fixture3_email.jpg

stab balancing_email.jpg

stab lnkage_email.jpg

Thanks for the names. I talk to Lockwood frequently but didn't know they did composite work. My A&P  said he knows somebody over in New Smyrna but did not give me the name yet.  I think I will definitely let the people with composite experience do the work.

Where is Tad out of?

Interesting photos and input from Runtoeat. What part of the country are you in?  I need to show your photos to my mechanic because we will be removing and then taking the stab to composite shop.  Hopefully there is someone within one to two hundred miles of Orlando. We may have some more questions when my mechanic looks at your photos. Thanks

On 11/22/2021 at 1:13 PM, WmInce said:

Just got off the phone with Tad Olmstead (T.O.M.I. Aircraft Services, Deland, Florida).

He advised me he was no longer in business and does not perform aviation services any more.

Said his business could not withstand the COVID lockdown and he had to fold up.

Midwest Skysports here in Michigan does composite repair.  A high quality shop.  They are approved to repair Sirus and Flight Design.  They currently build and sell Slingsport aircraft.  Very expensive but they are beautiful aircraft.  Regarding the stab balancing, I had to replace my trim tab which is full length of my elevator on my 2006 CTSW.  This required new hinges and reinforcement at all of the hinges.  I had to balance the elevator assembly, as shown in the picture.  Tom Baker is probably right about not needing to balance if you are only doing the reinforcement at the trim tab control rods attachment to the trim tab.  Best to call FD in Connecticut and ask about this.  If you have any questions about Stab repair I will try to help.  Send email or call me.

Dick Harrison   reh3335@yahoo.com   734.512.3467

https://mwskysports.com/ 

• 3 weeks later...

I finally found somebody that has experience in working with carbon fiber that is available to do the work with me.

I'm wondering now does anybody know where I can get smaller quantities than gallons from Aircraft Spruce of the L285?

Also, is it really necessary to remove the stabilator from the plane?  It seems to us that the stabilator on the plane would be already in a good position for doing the work.  The plane is in a nice enclosed hanger.

Thanks