200 knots in a CT

GrassStripFlyBoy

166 Kts GS? Christ! I once eclipsed 168mph ground speed and was amazed! I don't want to sound stupid but there are no GS limitations correct? I'd personally be afraid to go up into 70KT winds even at altitude... Are there no concerns with that and maybe my over anxious mind is just saying it's a bad idea?

On 12/4/2021 at 6:53 AM, Animosity2k said:

166 Kts GS? Christ! I once eclipsed 168mph ground speed and was amazed! I don't want to sound stupid but there are no GS limitations correct? I'd personally be afraid to go up into 70KT winds even at altitude... Are there no concerns with that and maybe my over anxious mind is just saying it's a bad idea?

As Darrell says, the plane doesn't care what its groundspeed is. Just watch out for turbulence which often comes with high wind speeds. Especially, but not always, over mountains. A good wx brief and review of pireps will help.

Ed C. can be a good resource about mountain flying.

21 hours ago, sandpiper said:

As Darrell says, the plane doesn't care what its groundspeed is. Just watch out for turbulence which often comes with high wind speeds. Especially, but not always, over mountains. A good wx brief and review of pireps will help.

Ed C. can be a good resource about mountain flying.

I'm in Cleveland Ohio so not much in the way of Mountains! Next time I get some lower surface winds and 50KT and above aloft I'm going to set out to set some new records in my bird!