Door Latch Knob Repair/Replacement

FlyingMonkey

Hey all...

The plastic "knobs" on my right door were apparently overtightened (by me) at some point, and the screw has stripped the plastic.  The knob stays on the door latch, but spins freely instead of being fixed in place.  Does anybody know an easy way to repair or replace them?  I'm afraid to ask FD-USA what they cost from the factory.

5 hours ago, Anticept said:

The threaded insert is the path I would choose. Plus, the threaded insert will protect from further overzealous ownership :P

Oh, good call.  Any suggestions for a good insert?  If you don't have a specific recommendation I'll Google it and find something.  Maybe something like this...

https://www.mcmaster.com/metric-threaded-inserts/18-8-stainless-steel-easy-to-install-thread-locking-inserts/

8 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Oh, good call.  Any suggestions for a good insert?  If you don't have a specific recommendation I'll Google it and find something.  Maybe something like this...

https://www.mcmaster.com/metric-threaded-inserts/18-8-stainless-steel-easy-to-install-thread-locking-inserts/

Those should work fine.

Locktite 22x, 24x, and 26x, are not designed for plastics, and are generally recommended against their use for that application by Henkel due to the risk of cracking.

Loctite 380 can bond metal to some plastics, but Polyoxymethylene (delrin) is not listed. No idea how well it would perform.

Cyanoacrylate (superglue) is compatible and fine to use.